• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ok I'm an idiot

Svt#224

CEG'er
After scrubbing for a hour with Maguairs water polish and getting no where with my water spots... I used the coarse end of a sponge pad. The spots came off great! However no I have a million fines swirl scratches on my passenger window and cannot see out of it at night time. Has gone made the same mistake? S here a way to polish the glass itself? Or am I out a new window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cleaned my windows for years with brillo pads and never scratched them so I'm at a loss on this?????

(Untitled)

I will post pics in the morning. It sucks. Maybe it was something of a combination of polish and the pad or maybe because it was a dollar store sponge. I don't know but this blows. It is difficult to see out of the window and my mirror now. Especially at night.

No Title

I don't know if you can see all the fine swirl scratches. It was very hard to get a pic of them. But they are all over the windows. I did just wax the windows today too so that probably didn't help with the pics either...

Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• photo17150.jpg
    photo17150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • photo17151.jpg
    photo17151.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • photo17152.jpg
    photo17152.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
(Untitled)

Thanks, looking at reviews now. Don't look too promising... Wish I had a porter cable... Maybe a good excuse to buy one :)

Those scratchy sponges can be pretty aggressive at times, but I've never run across one that would damage glass. Have to wonder what abrasive is in the Meguiars Water Spot Remover? If they cheaped out and used Pumice, it will damage glass. Proper glass polish is Cerium Oxide, which is known as 'optician's rouge'. If your time isn't worth anything, then try a glass polishing kit, but at some point, it's probably going to become more time and cost-effective to just buck up and replace the glass.

My time is worth $45 an hour... So I dont know. I dont own a porter. So factoring that in plus the kit, plus my time. I don't know kinda at a loss. I would have to retint both passenger side windows which would be another $50 probably too... I just feel very stupid for this whole situation...

An 8oz container of Cerium Oxide and their polishing wheel will set you back $51 + ship, you could probably use a decent battery drill, you don't need an expensive polishing tool. Consider that you're not just removing a scratch, you're polishing the whole window, who knows how long that might take? How many windows are damaged?

RockAuto has window glass for Contours for about $72 per door, never changed glass in these cars, don't know what the time involved is for this, probably removal of the door interior panel. Have the tint shop re-tint your door glass before you install it in the car, this would probably save some dollars.

The best and most careful of us have done dumb things in the garage. This is a good read, I have more than a few contributions in this thread as gmorrell:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=37924

2 both passenger windows are damaged. Good idea on tinting before installing the windows. I already wired and installed 4 new speakers in the car. So I am familiar with taking the panels off. They are a pain but I know how to do it. I'm thinking I might go with the new windows route, Will be about 130 dollars more including the tint but a lot less time wasted. And its really a toss up if the cerium oxide will even work... I appreciate all your guys input. Now if someone in San Diego has a porter cable they would be willing to loan could be another story...

I have heard that using jewellers rouge is a good trick for removing light scratching from glass. It’s somewhat like a clay bar. You are generally safe to use super fine 000 steel wool on glass without scratching, and it usually will remove hard water spots. Just takes some elbow grease.

Back