• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil filter pre-heater(coolant) ????

My 98 svt has the adapter between the filter and the block bypassed. ( one of the nipples rusted off!) If I remove the nipple with an allen wrench, is ther a shorter nipple under it to mount the oil filter directly to the block? if not, what do I need to remove it and make it work?

Pre heater... lol, Its a oil cooler.
When you take it apart you will find that it is a big long tube that runs though the entire cooler threaded on both ends. I would probably just get a new one my self, but if you want to get rid of it all together, there is a short nipple you can use, the 3L engines all come with those.

SVTparts006.jpg

Maybe that will help a little?

actually it really is a oil heater. since the svt "oil cooler" is plumbed into the return side of the coolant system its actually getting hot coolant. its is very noticiable how quickly the oil comes to temp/operating pressure with the cooler then without it. but it will function as a cooler to a point after everything is at temp since the oil runs hotter then the coolant.

as for the question if you want to remove the svt oil cooler you need to get the threaded insert from a standard 2.5L or 3L engine to install into the block so that the filter can be mounted.

Back