• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Number of Quarts to change MTX 75 Fluid...

ikaika808

CEG'er
I believe it is time for me to change the Fluid in my MTX 75... Gonna switch over to the Royal Purple Syncromax... Can anybody tell me how many Quarts of the stuff it will take to change it out...??? And whats is the best way to replace the fluid back in... It seems as though I would either have to have the car on a lift or atleast on 4 jack stands for me to access the filling hole from underneath and be level with out the car being at an angle... Thanks , Roland / Ikaika808

3 quarts-ish. Fill to spill.

Use a clear 2'-3' tube from the hardware store that fits into the fill hole on the trans. Put a funnel on one end and start filling. It is easier to do when the car is up on 4 stands ;).

early mtx-75s required 2.9 qts. later units require 2.1 qts. fill to spill as noted on level ground.

although I do fill mine with the front up in the air, gets alittle more fluid in, imho

@BRAPPLE... I was thinking of lifting the front and filling also while up in the air , do you think over filling some will do any damage instead of any good ???

@BRAPPLE... I was thinking of lifting the front and filling also while up in the air , do you think over filling some will do any damage instead of any good ???

I don't believe so. I did it that way on my 95 years ago and never noticed an issue. might cause a problem with the axle seals if there is to much fluid.

How high would you say you jacked the front up ??? I was thinking just enough to work underneath it to fill the Trans from underneath... I certainally don't wanna have leaing Axle Seals...

Can you even overfill it anyways? Old timers always told me even if the car wasn't perfectly level it will spill out when it's too full. But every tranny is different.

Can you even overfill it anyways? Old timers always told me even if the car wasn't perfectly level it will spill out when it's too full. But every tranny is different.

When I did mine, the hose I used to fill the trans fit very tightly into the fill hole, so I put three quarts in with no spillage and when I pulled the hose out it was like pulling a drain plug almost. I guess if you did this and then quick stuck the plug back in the trans you could overfill it. But it would be really tough to overfill it by any significant amount.

I also put three quarts in and when I pulled my hose out it started dribling out too. Guess 2.9qts sounds good.

on an SVT? Thanks. That's probably why I never saw it. I was looking behind the rear of it and all over except the passenger side. lol

thanks. I was gonna do it tonight but I got hung up on getting the front end finished and back together. Gotta get a couple more bolts though for the ball joints.

Back