• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG Non-intercooled kit + Air/Water Intercooler?

hylix

CEG'er
Has anyone successfully added an air/water intercooler to the NPG non-intercooled turbo kit? I just ordered the kit, and hope to add an intercooler to it eventually, Just wondering if anyone has any input on the subject.

I don't know of anyone running that kit, space is going to be the issue as usual. I bet one will fit but it would have to be very small and custom.

Talking to Joey, the kit has changed A LOT. He mentioned redesigned hot pipe routing (including 3" VBand attachment to exhaust system), and a custom oil pan for better ground clearance, as well as a set of custom headers. I'm not sure about the headers, though, I could have misunderstood... Joey can really rattle off a lot of information in a short period of time!

Hopefully, all these changes lend themselves to more room in the engine bay. I'll post some pics once the kit is received, and more once it is installed, prior to, and after any intercooler work I manage to do.

This kit will be installed with a 255LPH fuel pump, 42# injectors, The upgraded turbonetics turbo option, MSDS headers (if custom headers are not included... need to call Joey back to talk about this), and 3" trubendz stainless piping kit with Borla muffler. The 3L this is going on has K1 rods, and Diamond 9:1 pistons, and ARP bolts for everything that ARP offers bolts for. The intercooler would likely be the limiting factor in HP production (I'm ignoring the issue of getting it to the ground for now :rolleyes:).

Aside from moving things around (battery, etc.), I do not want to remove any equipment, like the windshield washer tank, or replace the waterpump with an electric unit. So I will be very constrained on space. In the end, I may just buy the intercooler portion of the kit from NPG.

I'm hoping this turns out to be an interesting adventure! I'll try to keep this thread updated as any progress is made.

IMHO, after all of that time and money put into the turbo kit and engine, why would you go non-intercooled? Just go for it.

My goal is to only run the kit non-intercooled long enough to get proper measurements, and draw up some plans for an air/water setup. If I fail at that, or decide against it for some reason, I'll buy an intercooler+piping from NPG.

This will be intercooled. The unknown part is how it will be intercooled.

Back