• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG Brake Upgrade Question, searched with no luck.

HotRodV6

CEG'er
My 99 Contour SE was made in 9/98 and is front disk/rear drum without ABS, im fairly certain my car has the 260mm front rotors, i want to upgrade to the 300mm FSVT front rotors and plan on swapping in CSVT rear disks and doing the NPG rear upgrade as well. My question is about the calipers, i know the NPG kit uses the stock CSVT calipers, and im pretty sure the calipers between the non svt and svt are the same its just the mounting bracket that's different for the bigger rotor. I'm going to be replacing my stock front calipers with some new ones as they have 173K miles and one is sticking periodically. Can i just get some calipers with mounting brackets for a 2000 CSVT and with the FSVT rotors and NPG brackets, everything should bolt up with no issues right?

Thanks for the help.

Just thought id post an update to this thread seeing as nobody offered any advice. I ordered some remaned Fenco calipers and brackets from advance auto SLC458/SLC459 are the part numbers, i got the NPG front kit and ordered stock FSVT replacement rotors from advanced along with some ceramic pads from advanced for a 2000 CSVT same as the calipers. Also had some SS lines i picked up off ebay.

The NPG Brackets bolts up just fine with the minor grinding needed, and i test fit the rotor and brackets and all was good. Painted the calipers and brackets and with the brackets bolted up i test fitted the pads and noticed the rear pad wasn't fitting all the way down inside the bracket, it was like the pad was to wide, well i just ground alittle off the bracket and the pads dropped down in place no problem. But then i noticed that with the pad sitting all the way down in the bracket, a very small portion on the top center of the pad sticks up above the edge of the rotor. Bolted up the calipers and when i tried to install the anti-rattle clips the ones that came with the calipers just wont fit, its like they are to wide, i can get one side of the spring on but then the other side is way to wide to hook up.

What im thinking after doing some research and looking at the pad pics for E0 and E1 on bat's website is i think i got E0 calipers and brackets, and i know i have E1 pads. So i think im ok with the E0 calipers but now im going to have to find some E0 pads and the correct E0 anti-rattle clips.

Am i right with my thinking here? I returned my stock SE calipers and brackets for the cores yesterday, so reusing them is not an option. A simple brake job just shouldn't be this hard.

All contours, minus the 98 (EO) SVTs have the same caliper. The SVT has a unique caliper bracket for the 278mm stock from brakes. Do note that sport model cougars have the same 278mm front rotors as the SVT so those brackets will work also. The EO also has a different caliper bracket.

All rear brakes are the same for all rear disk cars.

Any pictures you can take would help determine what parts you have.

On my SE I first upgraded to SVT front brakes. I just swapped the bracket out and then swapped the stock 260mm rotors for the stock CSVT 278mm front rotors. When I installed the NPG brake kit all I had to do was install the brackets and the FSVT rotor. I used the same caliper and CSVT bracket and even the pads I had since they still had plenty of life left.

yeah i knew they all used the same caliper just a different bracket, but my main issue was trying to figure out weather or not i have E1 or E0 calipers, and by looking at the pics posted in this thread http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...T-front-calipers&highlight=FSVT+Brake+Upgrade These are the same exact calipers and brackets i got from advance auto as remaned parts. Which is why the anti-rattle clips i have wont fit. Heres a few pics of whats on my car.
http://carphotos2.cardomain.com/images/0015/90/17/15390971_medium.jpg?v=1
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0015/90/07/15390970_medium.jpg?v=1
http://carphotos2.cardomain.com/images/0015/90/96/15390969_medium.jpg?v=1

Ok, I talked to the ford dealer this morning, and by giving them a vin from a 98 SVT they looked up the pads and there was a side note for a pad install kit that said SVT only, got the kit in this afternoon, one kit services both sides and has the rubber slide bolt boots and anti-rattle springs, but the springs are the same as the ones I have. So he got back in the computer and found another part number that says its just the spring and 2 required at 11 bucks each, the first kit was 15 bucks. It will be here in the morning, and hopefully its the right springs. I called BAT and they have one set of the E0 springs for 8.50 each plus shipping. If the stealership strikes out ill order from BAT tomorrow.

Now on to the brake pads, I ordered E1 calipers and pads but got E0 calipers which don't work, and E0 pads are hard to find, but I lucked out and an advance auto 30 miles away had a set of OE semi-metallic pads in stock. MKD-762 if anybody needs the E0 part number. After I ground the caliper bracket a very small amount the E1 pads fit, bit caused the caliper to stick up higher than it should causing it to hit the wheel, now with the correct E0 pads the calipers sit lower and I have about an 1/8 in clearance between the caliper and wheel. Im running E1 SVT 16" wheels btw.

Really not sure how or why I ended up with a set of one year only E0 calipers, but I do like the fact that the E0 pads have a larger footprint on the rotor surface. Now I just need the correct E0 springs and all will be right.

I've never had so much stress and frustration from doing a brake job!!

Well, the dealership got strike 3 this morning, so i had to call up BAT and they have one set of the E0 caliper springs in stock, and im hoping they will be here by Monday.

On another note, i was doing some checking on the parts store websites, advance, autozone, napa and orielly were the ones i checked, and they all show the same E0 caliper for all years SVT, and the std caliper for all years non SVT, so its probably a mistake in the original ford catalog which is where they get there info from. This wouldn't have been a big deal if i had known ahead of time.

Back