• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noisy Drum Brakes

FavoriteMystaque

Hard-core CEG'er
The rear Drum brakes on my 1998 Mystique LS grind if it rains or even is a little bit damp weather (dew) because of the unusually cool summer up here in Rochester, NY. The linings are nice and thick, anyone else have this problem? My front discs just shudder..

yeah mine does that frome time to time, but I haven't looked at them in a very long time .... but I am pretty sure they are the original drums at 204k so I am going to just replace everything ... the shoes have about 114k on them also ...

they Ford shoes or aftermarket?

They were replaced by the previous owner, I figure aftermarket. Maybe I'll change the shoes out. I have Motorcrafts from when I had a scuffing noise and didn't need the shoes yet.

My drum brakes have been making noise too over the past couple of days (no rain or anything)... It is an awful sounding dry creak noise, and only happens if I hit the brakes hard or when I use the parking brake (it still holds the car no problem though)...

I had the cylinder and shoes replaced on each side 12,000 miles ago with aftermarket parts, and I think the drums are original at 72,000 miles... Any idea why this noise is occurring? They passed inspection a couple of weeks ago...

I have never seen the inside of a drum brake first-hand so I would have no idea what to look for :shrug:

I was feeling generous and decided to snap a picture of my drum brake hub assemblies (drums removed) that I had lying around.

0829082318.jpg

You can see the shoes on the left and right side, connected by a plate with a self-adjuster that clicks into place to help adjust the shoes so the wheel cylinder (the cylinder on top of the assembly) doesn't have to move very far. Also notice the VERY important each clip in the middle of each shoe. If one of these clips breaks, it is likely the shoe will start to pull off the backing plate and contact the lug studs. We had an issue with this on BOMBdig's car. The brake was making a clunking sound once per revolution...it was loud and horrible.

EDIT: WOW bad picture. Sorry I will post a new one tomorrow. Stupid cellular devices.

Mine were just like that, with better brake shoes. I guess I will just have to take the drum off and change the shoes.

Back