• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble Dyno, progress report

gotapex

CEG'er
Still tuning and tweaking, but here's a progress report:

This is on a DynoDynamics dyno, which is much more conservative than a DynoJet (and a bit more than a Mustang dyno). From back to back tests with other vehicles and local dynos, it seems to read a consistant 30-40hp down on a DynoJet at around 400 hp to wheels or so (BMW E60 M5).

No correction factor other than for ambient conditions. Many other DynoDynamics charts are shown with a 15% correction factor to give some parity with DynoJet; this one is not:

tiremeltdyno_s.jpg

Unfortunately, my tires melted on the dyno, that's why the dip after about 6000rpm. The tires would simpy spin and spin once the engine went past 5000rpm or so. With grip, it should run easily over 500 rear wheel HP.

BTW, this is on the horrible 91-octane fuel we get in California on a reasonably conservative tune, and a bunch of pulls. I'm not crazy about taking 1 high pull from cold and saying "hey, look at those peak numbers."

As you can see, tires are totally gone. They just bubbled, peeled, and flung off the rollers:

tiremelt.jpg

I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (DOT-R tires as well) in stock width, 265/35R18. They felt like they gripped a little more, but still spun on the rollers, even with the the straps cranked down.

Next step is wider (and lighter) wheels and 305 or 315mm tires. If that holds, then the tuning restarts.

Nice numbers Gabe! Good to see you still dropping by. I swear I'm going to get my hands on a Noble/Rossion one of these days...well probably years.

Btw, not sure if it would help with street tires, but my friend found that if he deflated his tires on the dyno, strapped his car down, and then filled his tires back up, it would help make it a little tighter and give some extra traction.

Awesome! I was wondering what ever happened to your project. You kinda left us hanging, lol. Truely impressive

gabe, you ever consider going to a dyno place where they strap directly to the rotors rather than the rolling road setup?

Yeah, using a DynoPack may be an option. I just have easy access to a DynoDynamics, and load tuning is pretty convenient on them. I think it's important to tune for good drivability instead of just peak power. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more time to do a complete job of this.

I think I'll probably try those bigger tires and wheels next.

Gabe, I love the fact that you keep us updated on your progress, from dyno runs to the most daring exhaust tips ever posted by a Noble owner. :laugh: Thanks.

Any chance of a video of this session? :shrug: I just really wanna hear that car scream. :cool:

Gabe, I love the fact that you keep us updated on your progress, from dyno runs to the most daring exhaust tips ever posted by a Noble owner. :laugh: Thanks.

Any chance of a video of this session? :shrug: I just really wanna hear that car scream. :cool:

Don't have a very good vid of it unfortunately. I'll have to take some more when it goes in for more tuning.

You can see a bit here. You'll see smoke and stuff from the tires near the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkb5n1qvi0U

Nice. What company were you able to find? Is it built as in upgraded gears and such? Sounds like a better alternative than who you were dealing with.

Mike Gurney from the UK Dyno Dynamics produced the transmission. It's built on a new 6-speed transmission from Noble UK with Quaife LSD, superfinished gear set, stronger bearings, different end thrust, oil cooler, and other odds and ends.

Back