• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NEW question about rear deck sub. I know, I know.

chrisl311

CEG'er
Hey I know there is about 2500 posts about the rear deck sub but the only question i couldnt find the answer for is when i mount the sub (which will probably be the 8" tangbang), some ive seen just bolt it to the bottom, some actually sent it through the top of the deck, so the top is exposed (like normal). obviously it will be slightly harder to do option 2, but wouldnt this be better than just bolting it to the bottom? the only reason im doubtful is because ive seen a lot installed like this... so please feel free to shed some light for me, since this is my next project. thanks!

Last edited:
Far as I can tell, it should'nt matter. I would think that to mount it from the top would require some cutting of the deck for it to fit right.

After doing some thorough searching of the old forums I've found some info regarding what people have done for instalations, but the info is tough without pictures to back it up. I'd like to either mount some speakers or subwoofers in the rear deck and would like some more info. Pictures would be best, I want to see what they look like or how they perform. I've never seen an open air sub in action and I'm a bit curious. Thankx.

first off, i want to see some pics of your car! im black and tan too, with a 3l around the corner, post em in the pics section please!

NOW.

I dont have any pix of my car yet, been sorting out a clogged fuel pump. I took some pix right after I got it and I'll link them. No point in starting a thread with only 2 pix :rolleyes:

Took these on ma camera phone :nonono:
Back & Front

I dont want to show my system off, I'd like to keep it somwhat hidden. The rear window has some serious tinting on it, so that will help. I'm thinking I want to mount 2 10" Infinities off the rear deck. I'd like to keep the carpet in tact and just cut out what I dont need underneath. I want to stay conspicious so nobody has a reason to break into my car. I'll make some spacers and mount the subs flush with the underside of the carpet, most likly using nuts and bolts. Has anybody had any weight/flex issues with the rear deck supporting all of that weight?

Thankx

First of... Cobra badge.... :nonono:

As for mounting 10s your going to have an issue. There is only 9" of flat mounting space. So your going to have to build an adapter plate to mount the speakr to that you can attach to the rear deck.
2nd problem you'll run into is the center seat belt retractor. I honestly can't remember what kind of space you have to mount the subs side by side. For some stupid reason I want to say it was something like 18.5" between the rear seat release lever and the belt retractor if my memory serves me correctly. Not enough room for 2 10" subs..
Im not sure but I think I'm the only person running a 10". And mine is in a sealed box mounted to the rear deck firing through a 9" hole (all concealed by using the factory carpet as a speaker grill). But I can tell you that you wont have a problem with the weight. My setup weighs close to 50lbs. 30lbs of which is the sub alone.

Hey, the car came with the cobra badges, and after some thought, I decited to leave them on for the fear of them taking paint off or leaving an impression of the cobra beind.

Being that I havn't seen any pictures of this or really even spent a lot of time looking under the rear deck, would I be able to put a sub on each side of the car? I dont want to have them side by side, but one in each corner. Open air subs should just be able to hang there right?

Great to hear that somone else has gotten this done. Can you send me some pix of the instaltion? If not 10's, possibly a pair of 8's.... I'd much rather have the 10's though..

kyle, honestly, scrap the idea. 2 10's in the rear deck wont work. the rear deck sub option is more for people that like a balanced setup without too much bass, but on the rear deck for sq reasons. most ppl only use an 8" for a nice, well rounded addition to their setup without compromising it with to much bass. i honestly think that the bass that 2 10's would emitt would be enough to be put in the trunk and fill the cabin. imho; and it wouldnt be worth the effort to install in the rear deck anyway. and you can find more info and pics by searching 'rear deck sub' in the old forums, i did.

Alright, I'll go with what I've got then.. I did search through the old forums for info, and did find some. I didn't see any pix though.. Silly people stupidly using temp hosts... :nonono:

kyle, honestly, scrap the idea. 2 10's in the rear deck wont work. the rear deck sub option is more for people that like a balanced setup without too much bass, but on the rear deck for sq reasons. most ppl only use an 8" for a nice, well rounded addition to their setup without compromising it with to much bass. i honestly think that the bass that 2 10's would emitt would be enough to be put in the trunk and fill the cabin. imho; and it wouldnt be worth the effort to install in the rear deck anyway. and you can find more info and pics by searching 'rear deck sub' in the old forums, i did.
Hes' right, The setup is not for SPL but rather to make up for what the contour lacks on the low end while saving trunk space at the same time. No matter what aftermarket speakers we all put in the doors I dont know one person on here who is honestly satisfied with the low-end from the factory locations alone. I tried an 8" sealed in the rear deck. . It was great until I rolled the windows down in the summer. Then I couldn't even tell it was there. Thats why I bumped up to a 10" and I've been fairly satified with it.

Ouch... Its quick, its simple, its free. If they were my photos ask me, I might still have them. And my sub setup might be for sale soon so keep your eyes open.

Hehe, ya, I was just getting angrey looking through so many intresting posts in the old forums finding that 90% of the pix weren't there anymore.. www.photobucket.com Pics will always be there, never expire, best picture hosting IMO.

actually thats what I use. but a while back I moved some alblums around on my account and I think that screwed everything up because it changed the URLs that were linked on the boards... my amp bypass how-to is still there though!

Ya, that will do it... I looked at that article too! I'm pretty sure whoever installed the stereo before me did somthing along the line that I did with my 85 Riv. Intrestingly enough my Riv and these cars both have internal amps, and if setup the way I think it is, the power antenna is bridged to the power and the speakers are double amplified. The deck in my SVT is obviously double amped because I can't even get the volume over 1/3. I plan on tearing out all of the speakers, the deck, and amp and replacing the deck with a Pioneer 7800MP, Infinity Kappa's in the front doors, possibly leaving the back doors unhooked and putting 6x9's in the rear deck. I will also be running all of these speakers via a 4ch amp (100w per channel) with all new wire and a pair of Infinity Kappa 10" in the trunk. Should sound nice, already sounds expensive :laugh:

how does it sound, if it is double amped?

I guess it sounds ok. The volume jumps really quick, so there are some in-between volumes missing that are nice to have if you are talking to someone on the phone (god forbid) or someone in your car.

The factory Bose Premium stereo in my 85 sounded like crap with the stock deck, put a brand new alpine in it (going from 2w rms to 45w rms) made it sound exelent. I'm assuming it sounds better then factory, but the speakers rattle and buzz at high volumes. I'm thinking the previous owner had a system in the car before because I think it was hastily put back together. IE loose speakers, power and signal wires run to the back, but no deck capability to use them...

Doulbe amping gives better sound due to the more wattage to the speakers, but you loose control over the sound...

Your def not the only person with a 10 sub in the rear deck.. I made over 20 of the 10" rear deck sub mounts soo there is atleast that many people.

Back