• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Owner Opinions Welcomed...

SHOoffST

New CEG'er
Hello,

Recently acquired a 2000 SVT from the dealership I work. Car has K&N air filter and is bone stock. 200k miles. Engine does have a very slight ticking/rattle 3500-5000 rpm. It is just barely noticeable, only under WOT, partial throttle OK. I believe that the rod bearings are not spun yet. My intentions are to replace all the rod bearings. From what I read about possible cap strength issues could I use a stud/nut instead of a rod bolt and increase the strength of the cap end? This car is started occasionally to burn moisture out of the engine as it sits this winter, but was driven straight home after the purchase until I could address general maintenance/replace rod bearings.

Also, to help with my search process can anybody build a list of "Keywords" that I should investigate and address on the car right away? Improved/updated parts, concerns for the SVT model, etc....

Thanks!

Sean

Rod bolts won't make the rod's already fatigued shape any better. They don't have a problem with rod bolt strength. New bearings will likely last a year if the rod isn't completely toast. About a month if they are.

The only bad point on the motor is the rod fatigue. There were not too many 2.5 liter 200 HP naturally aspirated engines available in 2000, so this engine was pretty special. There aren't that many now for that matter...

Back