• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

You have a '98 SE. But is that with a 2.5L V6? Or the 2.0L inline 4? What transmission? Did you want cosmetic mods? Handling? Braking? And while everyone wants more power, that gets expensive quickly. IF you have a V6 and are on a budget, maybe upgrade your tires, swap in svt front brakes, upgrade your rear swaybar, and look into a two inlet main cat fed by two nice pipes from the exhaust manifolds. That mimics the former SHO Shop and BAT y-pipe replacements, as the stock y pipe, even when "optimized," chokes a bunch of power at higher rpm. I found that set up about as helpful by itself as swapping in headers.

Last edited:
I was just posting to see if anyone would respond that’s why I don’t put to much detail but I have the 2.0L in-line 4 cyl so far I got the car on H&R Lowering springs, 16 inch rims with some falkens, eBay “cold air” intake, did a muffler delete and put a nice tip on it and I got a rocket chip but I’m not sure if I would recommend that. I’ve also got the interior almost all the way gutted and the back bumper removed. Nothing special just a sporty ****box

Another 2.0L. I'm in slow progress on replacing a 2.0L on mine. If you were in Seattle or Portland, you'd be able to discuss dash gutting in person with several who have done that. Like one who swapped a Mystique dash into one of his several Contours; my car's prior owner who swapped in a different speedo cluster to add a tachometer; and others who have done changes to address dash warp. As the CEG forums are very quiet, you might find more help by looking for groups to ask on Facebook, etc. Where is Cedrax?

Back