• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help with clutch install in CT on a CSVT

RichR

CEG'er
Figured I'd ask this here, don't know what to do anymore. :confused:

Anyone in CT experienced with a clutch install on a CSVT that could give me a hand?

I don't know many people here and my tour has been down for over 4 months. I've never done a clutch on a front wheel drive car. I have a heated garage, lift and tools. I can toss gas money and feed you. :help:

I'm in New Haven County, Long hall to MA and I can't move the car. I barely got it in the garage.:cry:

I'd say just dig into changing the clutch, it isn't that hard. If you have the tool and the space you can handle it....

the clutch really isnt that hard at all.. it looks like a pain at first but once you start you see how easy it is.. just takes time.

Unfortunately we live in a throw away car culture. Come on man, a clutch is a wear item. Eventual replacement should be expected. Poor car just needs some maintenance. Have you gotten a quote from your local Ford dealer for a clutch job? Not that I'd recommend taking it there. I'm just curious what they charge for a Contour clutch job.

The 99 I bought back in September had a clutch put in it by the PO and it cost right $1100 at the shop he took it to. I would imagine that ford would be higher.

Sorry Rich for not replying to your PM. I had a death in the family and I haven't been near my parts car at all to check on the shifter parts.

I'm confused though, I thought all you needed was a shifter part? What's going on with the clutch?

If you need the clutch done, Aircougar can do it for less than half the price of a garage. If you have AAA Plus coverage, you are within the 100 mile towing and can get it up to him for free. Just buy the clutch kit and get the car towed up.

If you go with a local garage, expect at least $900 in labor. This is what my clutch job ran me back in 2004 when I had it replaced by a local garage.

Sorry Rich for not replying to your PM. I had a death in the family and I haven't been near my parts car at all to check on the shifter parts.

I'm confused though, I thought all you needed was a shifter part? What's going on with the clutch?

If you need the clutch done, Aircougar can do it for less than half the price of a garage. If you have AAA Plus coverage, you are within the 100 mile towing and can get it up to him for free. Just buy the clutch kit and get the car towed up.

If you go with a local garage, expect at least $900 in labor. This is what my clutch job ran me back in 2004 when I had it replaced by a local garage.

Thanks I got a replacement bushing. Yeah I don't have AAA. I already spent over $400.00 having it towed from NY to CT. Out of about 10 shops I called six said they wouldn't do it. The rest were all over $1200.00

this isn't that bad of a job. If you pulled a tranny before then you have enough mechanical ability to do this. you are letting the fact that it is tight in there worry you, it would be sad to walk away from it over a clutch. also maybe post a list of shops that refused to the job, some of us might want to stay away from those guys..I mean really scared to do a clutch in a contour :shrug:. Best of luck but I say dig in or go see air cougar.

might be a good time to join AAA for at least a year. IIRC its under $100 for one person for a year for the membership to get the free 100 mile tow. get a tow and save time and money over having a shop do the work.

Back