• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need better header gaskets and bolts for turbo use

SoopaCooga

Veteran CEG'er
Guys, I blew out my header gasket. My car now sounds like I am running an open exhaust, the leak is that bad. Worst thing about it is inhaling all the fumes through the cabin air intake.

What gaskets are recommended for use with forced induction? Last I searched, the old-school hot-rodders recommended copper gaskets. There is a newer product by Remflex made of graphite. Each has a downside: copper requires periodic re-tightening and Remflex often blowout (according to the Subaru forum).

So what are you guys using? Also, is there someplace I can get stainless header studs? Thanks!

use new Ford gaskets as they are a multi-layer gasket. as for stainless hardware, order some from Fastenal.

No, never use the MSDS/NPG gaskets they are a cardboard type of material vs. Ford's stock metal gaskets. Stock SVT's blow out those MSDS gaskets all the time.

anyone have a link to exactly what we need from Fastenal for SS bolts/nuts for the exhaust flanges.... I am so sick of these things rusting up and seizing.

it would depend on what you want, studs/nuts or bolts. I would recommend at least 2 studs so that you can hang the gasket and manifold easily.

sorry I was implying a complete replacement set for the stock configuration of studs/nuts.... not sure if I like the idea of just bolts as those are threaded holes I don't want to mess up.

Back