• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need Advice on Buying

Lenny

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I've found a ford contour to purchase but I'm new to this type of car. I'm just wondering if 210k kms is a lot for this car and if I'm going to need to do a lot of repairs on it. I know it's kind of a tough question cause it depends on the car's condition, past drivers and how much work has been done but to keep it simple: in general would a 1998 contour with that amount of kms last at least a year? How long do these cars usually last km wise/ what's the average age they give in? What needs to be repaired frequently and what are typical issues they have? I just don't want to purchase a money pit lol, I know that any car will require work and I'm willing to put it in if I get approx another 100km. Thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to answer, figured a countour enthusiast website would be a good place to start. It gives me comfort knowing there's a website like this where I can find advice/parts for it! Also what's the most kms/miles you have seen a contour have if treated right? I've heard toyotta corollas have been known to last upwards of 700kms

Hey,
1st off is the engine in the car a 4cyl or V6, and what transmission a automatic or manual.

2nd does the car come with service records?, for it to reach 210K km it had to be maintained fairly well

3rd what's the rust situation, if it's a typical rust belt car, walk away.

4th a Contour is NOT a Corolla, never will be, Toyota's motor are like Volvo's they last forever.

Last edited:
1st q: v6 and manual

2nd q: He does not have service records. Has had it for a year, bought it at 201k and now it's 207k. Forgot what the last owner said regarding crashes, he himself got bumped by someone from behind but it was low impact and there was no visible known damage done, told the guy it was fine. Says he has not had problems with it and it runs fine. Also said the only thing he did to it was an oil change.

3rd q: not a rust belt car as we are in alberta, and in the photos there's not even visible rust above the tires where it's common to see it!

He sent a pic of under the hood and it was looking good from what I could see. He said the battery was replaced by the last owner as well.

Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited:
The V6 can be a pain to work on sometimes, compared to the 4cyl, but they usually last longer....

But if it's under $2K, then go for it

Being the owner of a Volvo I can say they are significantly higher maintenance than a Toyota. Quite honestly my Volvo has been significantly higher maintenance than my Contour!

But yeah, I would agree if it's somewhat rust free and under $2k and you like the car then go for it!

1st q: v6 and manual

2nd q: He does not have service records. Has had it for a year, bought it at 201k and now it's 207k. Forgot what the last owner said regarding crashes, he himself got bumped by someone from behind but it was low impact and there was no visible known damage done, told the guy it was fine. Says he has not had problems with it and it runs fine. Also said the only thing he did to it was an oil change.

3rd q: not a rust belt car as we are in alberta, and in the photos there's not even visible rust above the tires where it's common to see it!

He sent a pic of under the hood and it was looking good from what I could see. He said the battery was replaced by the last owner as well.

Thanks for taking the time!
What part of AB are you looking at the car ? I’m in SK and been searching around and the only one I know of is a 98.5 t red car in southern Alberta . Just wondering if it’s the same car .

Back