• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My SVT rolled into the neighbors yard.

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
This happened a few years ago but I forgot to post it.

I had apparently left the car in neutral in the garage overnight. The next day I opened the garage door then ran back into the house to get something. When I came back out my car was gone. I can't remember what I was thinking at the time but I know I was baffled. :shocked:

I went into the garage and saw my car in the neighbors yard missing a pole and a tree. It only had minor scrapes under the the sides of the rear bumper from jumping the curb. I remember thinking my Tru-Bendz had to be destroyed.

happened to me on the day i went autocrossing. only at a gastation. rolled out perpendicular about 40 feet from a traffic light for a highway. luckily that speed is pretty abandoned except one businesses and a few houses so by the time i can out no cars were there.
thats what you get when your e brake doesnt work and you forget to leave it in 1st for the first time. it only ran the exhaust into a grass mound and got a ton of dirt in it luckily.

also happened to my 4 banger a few times because the pistons dont have enough force to keep the car in my steep driveway. found my car halfway in the street several times. lol. i need to start using the e brake...

Yeah. This happened right after I replaced my ebrake cables. I don't use the e brake when parked. Just use it when the car is running. I don't want to stretch the new cables. Haha

haha. piontless..
the worst one was i left the car in the garage , and i thought it was perfect level. but me slamming the door was enough to creep the car into my steep ass driveway. lnto the neighbors brick wall it went. lmao

I have done it a few times, my garage slopes in so I have noticed that I push the car when I jump in it. And then I say "use the parking brake, stupid".

We need an alarm when the key is in the off position and the parking brake is not set. Should be an easy thing to do with a relay and a chime of some sort. I know AGrayson84 has done some custom wiring, maybe he could dig up the wiring diagram for us forgetful types.

Actually shortly after this happened I did it again. Only that time I saw the car was against the garage door before I opened it.

Lucky you missed all the obstacles and on coming cars! Your contour looks good parked on the neighbors lawn too lol

When I learned how to drive back in 04, my dad had a stick shift Cavalier. I drove that car as much as possible. Every car I've owned except one has been stick shift. My first car was auto, and for the past 7 years, I've been driving nothing but stick, and I ALWAYS pull the parking brake. I've never had a car roll away from me. I do find it quite funny though, and I agree that the car looked good parked in the neighbors yard.

Cant say I've ever had a risk of that happening. Even when my ebrake cable on the SVT broke I'd park it in gear with the wheel cut and backed up against the curb.

Interesting ... but as others have said, driving manual transmission 101 ... always put the car in gear and set the parking brake when parking the vehicle.

I would've pooped my pants :D

Interesting ... but as others have said, driving manual transmission 101 ... always put the car in gear and set the parking brake when parking the vehicle.

I never put cars in gear. I had a remote start on my CSVT and used e-brakes for 8 years. Can't break the habit.

I generally don't park in gear either. Only reason I did was because my e-brake cable snapped.

I hate when other people drive my cars and don't set the e-brake..just leave it in gear. Yeah..it's not 1920 anymore. Reason 94874626138362 nobody drives my cars but me.

Yea I had the same thing happen to me actually. Except it was in the parking lot at work and I was running a little late. So I forgot to set the park brake... car rolled forward and bumped into a truck. Didn't do anything to the truck, but it chipped a quarter size of paint off my front bumper. I was not a happy camper, but it was my own fault. I had the same reasoning though, remote start so I always would use the park brake and leave the cars in neutral.

Parked my dads truck infront of my house on our steep road and left in my car. Came back and the truck had rolled 30ish feet down the road. That old 4.9 had enough to stop it but not enough to keep it there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Up here in Canada an airline worker left his truck running and got out to fix something.
The truck was in gear and rolled out onto the runway right in front of a Air Canada plane coming in for a landing
Pilot didn't see it..but missed it...the guys in the control tower could see something moving on old ground radar but
couldn't see what was moving cross the runway...this happen couple of weeks ago

Back