• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My LED Clock light

ThNdFrSpd

CEG'er
Here's the story, my clock light was burned out and I had been anxious to try out some LEDs in my car so this was a good oppotunity to do so. I was afraid to take chances and didn't want to sauder directly onto the clock board so I had the idea of using the factory bulb holder and getting my LED to fit in there somehow.

So what I did was I pulled the factory bulb out with a pliers (accidentally broke it after I got it out:rolleyes:). Then I drilled holes in the top of the holder for the legs of the LED to stick through and 2 through the plastic right above each metal connector on the holder. In order to make the LED fit I had to drill out the inside of the holder where the factory bulb used to be and sand the part on the LED that sticks out on the side.

After it fit properly I saudered on wire on one leg of the LED and the resistor to the other then threaded them through the 2nd two holes so they were connected to the metal connectors. I just twisted it in like it was a factory bulb and it looks great save for a slight hot spot in the center but you can barely notice it.

Total cost: $0.00 because I got the LED of of some key chain and got the resistor from school:)

I have some pics but I apologize for the extremely bad quality of them but this is the best my camera could do.

Old bulb
picture.php

New modified bulb
picture.php

Installed pics
picture.php

picture.php

Close up
picture.php

Again I apologize for the quality of the pictures:shrug:

I saw that thread and your clock looked great BTW but I didn't want to spend any money so I did this instead.

Last edited:
Back