• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My free Mystique...

96MystiqueGS

Veteran CEG'er
Well, here she is Marc! I finally got around to taking a few pictures.

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

Had to throw a new driver's door on, there was a wiring issue in the old one. If I ever find the time, I may try to gut the new door and stuff it all inside the old door so that the color matches. As of right now, I still haven't swapped the locks out yet. I have to unlock the passenger door and hit the unlock button.

I just changed out the DPFE sensor to hopefully get rid of my P0402 code. I have to put in a new ECT (the one for the gauge on the dash) and fix my radiator fan problem.

The low speed fan does not come on (I think it is a resistor problem) so the car practically overheats before the high speed fan comes on. It's not too bad when the car is moving, usually about 199 but if I have to sit in traffic it creeps up pretty fast. I think some where in the neighborhood of 215 the high speed fan comes on. In the meantime I have been using the A/C to turn on the high speed fan when it gets hot.

Other than that, she is a pretty nice car. Drives nice, but a little rough. I got the car for absolutely nothing, plus, the car just had a timing belt done and plugs changed ($400) before I got it.

Shes nice james!
You gonna fix her all up and make her nice or is she just your driving car?

You have 2 cars now so i say u fix one up and drive one...OR you can be badass and fix them both up and drive both :)
haha she looks good tho especially for being free!

Your second fan issue sure sounds like a temp sensor failure. Very easy fix. The part is readily available through multiple sources, including RockAuto. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. :cool:

Your second fan issue sure sounds like a temp sensor failure. Very easy fix. The part is readily available through multiple sources, including RockAuto. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. :cool:

I thought so too at first, but the temp sensor that supplies the PCM with temperature information works just fine. I didn't realize there were 2 temp sensors until I did a little reading. To test the first temp sensor (the one that sends temp info to the PCM) I plugged in my OBD2 scan tool and the temp displays flawlessly.

The high speed fan (single fan, 2 speeds) kicks on like it should, but the low speed does not. I jumped the connector for the low speed relay and the fan didn't turn on. Based upon what I've read I am assuming it is a resistor, but I could be wrong.

The temp sensor that leads to the dash is another story, that one does need to be replaced as the temp gauge bounces around. Temporarily I've been using my scan tool as a temp gauge, a very expensive temp gauge.

Shes nice james!
You gonna fix her all up and make her nice or is she just your driving car?

You have 2 cars now so i say u fix one up and drive one...OR you can be badass and fix them both up and drive both :)
haha she looks good tho especially for being free!

She's nice for a free car. No rust at all! The rocker panels are solid. I'm going to fix her up and make her look nice, but I'm not going to kill myself over it or spend a lot of money.

I am looking into a 98+ Contour dash and center console for her. Funny, I want a 98+ console in the Pre98 car and I want a Pre98 console in the 98+ car. I just need to look over the 98+ wiring to make sure everything will match up with the Pre98 electrical connections on the firewall and such. I can't use the Pre98 harness due to the fact that the switches (defrost, ect) are in different locations with different connectors. Pulling the dash is definitely going to be the easiest part. I have trained my mother to do certain Contour related tasks when no one else is available and she does pretty good. My mother and I can pull a dash in 22 minutes.

I am slowly working on the SVT. I got the last hose I need to be able to run her again.... I wonder where those 3 hoses went to in the first place?:laugh: It is definitely hard to work on her where she is. I am going to either have to wait for spring or bribe a friend of mine who has a barn. A trunk lid and body work are all that is preventing me from getting the car inspected.

nice steal, I wish my Wintour had rocker panels oh well at least its a mtx and thats what I wanted

Seems as though I fixed my P0402 with another DPFE sensor. I reset the CEL and it isn't back on yet, it's been 2 days so far. All of the self tests are done except the "CAT" (Catalytic Converter I would imagine). Any one know what's up with that?

That test won't complete until you do some ridiculous mileage/RPM dependent driving. I don't know off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure you need to do a significant amount of driving at a sustained RPM or something like that.

Back