• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 3.0L swap has begun...sorta

HotRodV6

CEG'er
OK, the other day I drove down to Laredo from austin and picked up a 3.0L that was in a 99 SVT that caught on fire from a fuel leak. The engine is good, nice and clean inside and supposedly has ~50K miles from an 05 Taurus. This engine has aluminum valve covers, and I thought all the newer ones had plastic covers, but either way I'm probably going to just reuse my stock 2.5 covers. It already has the contour front cover, and I believe the stock Taurus oil pan. My plan is to install new gaskets and seals on the oil pan, valve covers, front cover, front and rear crankshaft seal and I ordered the bugzuki plates to go with the SVT upper and lower intake already on my car.

The engine had been sitting outside for about 6 months and I pulled out the plugs and with a slight tug it broke free and spins over good, had water down on of the intake ports probably due to the fire hose putting out the fire, as this was a full 3.0L swap with the plastic intake that melted off. I'm going to pull the oil pan, valve covers are already off and like I said it looks nice and clean inside. I sprayed the cams and down the cylinders with wd-40 and spun it over several times so I think it will be good to go. I think I did good for 175 for the engine.

Anyways, I've done a lot of reading on the swap and thing I've got everything covered, but one question I do have is how will this run with my stock SE tune with 17# injectors? I've read a few post where. Its been done, but just want to get some feedback.

The only person that i know that ran a 3L with an SE tune is joe(Blu fuz). And i believe he ran a split port 3L. It ran ok, but he needed a tune bad. I wouldnt suggest u drive it too long without a tune.

$175 is too much for a motor that was on fire. $300-$400 for a good low mileage engine in perfect condition isn't unheard of. Why even take the chance? Eitherway, good luck with the swap!

$175 is too much for a motor that was on fire. $300-$400 for a good low mileage engine in perfect condition isn't unheard of. Why even take the chance? Eitherway, good luck with the swap!

I agree. I paid $400 for a complete 05 Escape engine with 43k on it and had 207 for compression.

I know this, cheapest ones found on there are up in northern cali. All I am saying is prices of 3L engines are regional.

Can't be afraid of driving for stuff. I drove 21hrs to pick up my car. Then there is the having it shipped to you route. Most parts places like LKQ have hubs they can transfer to at no cost to you. There is no such thing as a free lunch is all I am saying.

A tune should be done very shorlty after the engine is running.

The only person that i know that ran a 3L with an SE tune is joe(Blu fuz). And i believe he ran a split port 3L. It ran ok, but he needed a tune bad. I wouldnt suggest u drive it too long without a tune.

I know of a few other people that have run a 3L with 17# injectors. Not ideal but it works.

i'v driven for 3+ years with an untuned 17lber car! it could be worse, runs fine!

iirc, you also have a ported 3L. since it retains the stock intake and secondaries it runs fairly well on the stock tune and injectors. However the straight 3L not having secondaries can be an issue. I know people have faked the pcm out with a spring setup on the imrc to make it seem like it working, but a straight 3L should receive a tune just about imediately once running.

I have never really looked for an engine here in socal, just judging off of what I have seen listed on the internet. Cant remember what Klasky paid for his 04 motor with 40k on it, maybe $500 from LKQ is the best he found. As far as driving to get stuff, I always add the cost of gas etc, since it would cost over $100 just in gas to drive 10 hours nowadays.

Anyways, IMO any full 3L needs to have a tune since the computer thinks there is roughly half the amount of air coming into the engine at low rpm, not to mention it running like crap. I had my pretty modded full 3L running with stock tune and 17lb injectors at one point and I went for it a few times and could for sure feel when the injectors couldnt keep up and the air/fuel gauge start to run lean after around 5k rpm.

I would have bought it if it is the one from a member here. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?67791-1998-csvt-3l&highlight=sergio Is this it?

Yes that's the engine I got. I initially said I didn't want it, as we originally agreed on 350the and I had paid him 175to already, but he didn't have the 175toys to give back to me so we agreed id take the engine as is for what he was already paid.

Im doing a ported 3L. 3L heads and shortblock with SVT upper and lower retaining the IMRC and running a cop setup. Will be getting headers, y-pipe and a cutback exhaust that will all go ib with the engine. Thinking about getting a high stall converter but not sure they are worth the cost.

wait your bolting this to an automatic? I seem to remember there being high failure rates for the cd4e in general, not to mention behind a 3.0. I think one guy had one, but terry completely overhauled the cd4e with stronger bands and clutches so it wouldnt come apart...

Back