• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

morette replica

FIND

Addicted CEG'er
Thats right FLAME ME NOW.

No seriously so Im ordering some 90 millimeter hellas. Im trying to figure out what to do about a turn signal enclosure. Hella offers a 66mm turn signal, but I dont think it would look right. So I was thinking about cutting my spare headlight housings to remove the portion that holds the turn signals and mold that into the new headlight housings. My problem is I am not really sure what to do about a lense. Cut the old lense and glue it to the back of the fiberglass above the turn signal portion of the housing. I cant really think of a good way of molding anything satisfactory outta casting resin. Anyways ideas? Otherwise I thought maybe it be easier to just use the original housing, cut out for the hella's to fit cut a little off around it just to attach a fiberglass cover.

Yeah so I guess this sounds like the same pointless start that everyone makes and never sees any end. So who care right... Anyways, I am gonna work on it and see if I can make a set for my car and possibly my wifes, although she is resistant to modifications to her car. Anyways, I'll probably get started around the end of the month or beginning of next after I get the lights and whatnot so when I get started I will let you guys know and if I come out with anything worth half a crap I will post a pic. We'll see if I can make anything decent looking, but I figure if I just use the old lense as a template I should be able to make something.

there are MUCH better projectors out there. Although it would need to be enclosed so you do not have much of an option.

edit....i have the Hella 90mm for fogs so I know the output quality.

yeah I know there are better projectors out there, but then I would need to have a lense in front of them to enclose them, and that would kinda suck. If I was gonna go through those kinda lengths, then why not just do like (I cant remember who it is off the top of my head) does them and just mount the projector inside the stock housing. Dont anyone get me wrong, I think his lights look great, but I wanna try this before I settle for that.

I want to see pics during the build. This should be interesting.:cool:

cant see what pics I could really do, I mean I could show you some wet fiberglass and a dremeled stock housing and lense :shrug: Like I said, dont get excited, will probably be at least a month before I have the lights to even start molding, and may be longer after that before I start. I have 2 kids, a job and classes, not like I have a lot of free time.

cant see what pics I could really do, I mean I could show you some wet fiberglass and a dremeled stock housing and lense :shrug: Like I said, dont get excited, will probably be at least a month before I have the lights to even start molding, and may be longer after that before I start. I have 2 kids, a job and classes, not like I have a lot of free time.

Not a problem. I just like seeing pictures of builds, etc. Just shows progress rather than "hey got and idea".....BAM final product.

is it possible to convert the 90mm projectors to use a different bulb than H9. It just kinda bothers me how hard those dang bulbs are to come by

:edit, looks like this project is going to be delayed for a while, found a new house to move into and I have already made a lot of commitments to buy parts from people right now with money I have, so I dont want to go back on my arrangements to those people. I promise to revive this thread within a few months.

doing the same here

doing the same here

of my many projects this is one of them.

i gutted two headlights. filled with expandable foam. and then clay. im working on getting the front molds perfect, meaning they look identical and match up to the contours of my car, before even worrying about what im going to put inside. was going to mark my holes and maybe take a whole saw and cut them so they are nice and symetrical. from there use projectors to shine through to make sure it all points where i want. i also havent figured out the side marker problem. i was going to just go with a round marker installed but that might not look to great. also thought about 2 part casting resin or 2 part clear pourable plastic. but this is on the back burner so when i get to it i get to it.

but with school, surfboards, molded sideskirts, moving to a new house(big basement and a workshop garage!), getting the svt running, repainting the doors on the se, and misc stuff. i doubt it will ever get off the ground.

good luck i would like to see pictures.

Been there :). Never finished it because I couldn't convince myself I liked it. The high/low ended up sitting higher than the turn did.

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

Been there :). Never finished it because I couldn't convince myself I liked it. The high/low ended up sitting higher than the turn did.

Doesn't look half bad man. That's one tiny projector. If you could have it sit back a little more flush with the curved piece on the side it would look good. Also once the PVC piping (or whatever you used there) is painted to match it should look real nice.

I could send you my set of projectors and be the guinea pig for this project :).

Thanks for the vote of confidence :cool:. Those pictures are probably 2+ years old. I tossed it all away when I moved.

Just a hint to anyone that wants to try.... It wasn't a full projector, you only really need the lense to get the 'effect' and eliminating the bowl will make sure you're not shooting out yellow beams when your parking lights are on.

Those pictures are literally just a lense and lense holder + PVC sitting in the headlight. It was all conceptual and never went any further. I might have some pictures of them lit up somewhere...
DSC02043.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

Talk about old projects that never came to fruition:
img150.jpg

I was just going to use the stock turn signal area as it was more or less unchanged.

I am probably gonna make some mock ups of the headlights based on the technical drawings for the hella projectors (although the mediums I have tried to make the mockup projectors in just arent up to par), and I also have a couple other things some people sent me that I thought I might be able to make something out of, so I will measure things up and see if I can at least make a mock up piece so I can see what I can do and how they would work out.

Anyways, I will let you guys know.

Back