• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MLPS got antifreeze spilled on it, now tranny going bonkers

pletby

New CEG'er
The title explains it all. Replaced my water pump and while disconnecting hoses to do said replacement some fluid spilled on what I've looked up to be the MLPS. (and all over the top of the tranny too) When I was ready to put it all back together I rinsed affected areas with the garden hose.

Everything was fine for the test drive, but the next day on the way to work once the car warmed up I was dropping out of overdrive and getting a flashing od light. Now it'll slam into gear occasionally, and generally hunt around for gears when it never used to. My speedometer is just fine. No new codes.

So the question is am I right with my deduction that it is the MLPS? Could it be simply messed up from being wet? Would blowing it out with compressed air help, or is it simply time to swap it out?

It's a pain in the rear to get to, I hope I can get to it from behind by removing the airbox and hose instead of removing the coolant hoses again.

I went ahead and did my best to dry it out. The car so far seems cured. I have OD back and the tranny is shifting smoothly again. My instant mpg is back up again too. I'll wait a few days and a few highway trips before I say it's fixed.

Back