• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mirko Resurrection !?!?!?

ikaika808

CEG'er
So I purchased a used Mirko with a New skid plate and I am starting the process of resurrecting it and getting it on my Black 2000 CSVT... Question I have for some people who have done the same is... What is a good Grit sand paper to even out the millions of paint pits ( right now I am using 100 grit and seems to be taking alot aof work and not close to being smooth )??? and what is the best way to fix some Sizable Chips on the leading edge of the splitter ??? ( Glass Bondo or Fiberglass/Resin ) Being that this will be painted Gloss Black to match it will show ALOT of imperfections if not done correctly... Thanks in advance , Roland / Ikaika808

Hey Roland...... i had the same issue with my mirko but also i hit something on the road and actually broke mine into 3 differen't pieces.It was a HUGE pain to try and put it back together but i was able too with a lot of time and effort. All the chips on mine, depending how far into the paint/gel coat they are, i used Fiberglass Resin and filled them in. Did the same with the edges too. The key was to let the Resin dry to its fullest before you start sanding it.I get impatient with the drying time so it would still be kind of soft therefor when i started sanding, it would take it down way too fast. I used 120 grit to start and then just worked my way up to 1000. With yours being black, you really want to make sure to have a light hand just because you'll def see waves if you sand too far down in some areas and not others. I'm sure theres much better ways too prep it, and maybe fiberglass resin isn't the best, but i've had mine back on for a 6 months now and its still in great shape! Hopefully that helps a lil and good luck!!

Great advice Keith... On the edge big chips did you use big clothe pieces to fill in the Chip or Small strands of fiberglass to fill in the chips...??? and hopefully I can get mine looking near new... I was lucky and didn't have one that had MAJOR damage just the large chips and some spider web crack that I think are only in the paint and not the Fiberglass structure itself... and Black is the color definatley not to do a mediocre refinishing job on... IT WILL SHOW in the end...

Yeah mine had a lot of spider web cracking going on when i first got it.it was mostly in the paint. i did use small strands of fiberglass to fill in some of the chips.there weren't too many so i was lucky and most of them i was just able to fill in with the filler only.but for the ones that i did use small strands, i took like 40 grit and made some deep scratches that way the resin had something to grab a hold of.

Quite a few people have used bondo-glass. Once it sets it's super hard and a PITA to sand.....either way you're going to be sanding like crazy though.

Back