• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mercury Cougar 4Cyl Weapon R Stainless Steel Street Headers 4-1 / 2Pc (1998-2003)

Are any of you in the Houma, Louisiana area? You guys should contact Joey at Nautilus (IIRC, his handle is BurritaSVT) and see if he can make you a downpipe for the Focus shorty header. It won't be as good as a long tube header but at least it will be better than stock.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...der-for-00-04-Focus-Zetec-Exc-SVT-81p1433.htm

You could even have him put on a race cat with an O2 bung after it so that you won't get a CEL or need a MIL eliminator.

BP

Excellent advice/tip!!! Will follow up with Joey and update here. Maybe a "Group Buy" in the future?
Saw one of these Focus "Shorty Headers" on eBay - whole $50.00 plus shipping!!
THANKS MUCHO!!

Glad to help! I'm having to dust off the memory banks on the Contour Zetec stuff. It's been a good 5 years since I've touched anything.

I'd worry about the welds breaking with one of the cheapo headers but if you put a support brace from the downpipe to where the stock cat bolts too, that should make it pretty sturdy.

BP

Welcome back BP you have been missed my friend........For all that don't know this guy is the Pre 98 Guru. Pushed the envelope back in the day on Pre 98s. Just check out the Archives (UBB 02+) Was one of a very few to install a DYI turbo on a Pre 98. .......

Thanks guys! Yeah, I attempted both a supercharger and a turbo. Unfortunately I never completed either. In hindsight I wish I had just concentrated on one and gotten it done. I got too caught up in upgrading the turbo before I got it on and working to twincharge it. (Which would have been epic BTW.) I still think that a 400HP Zetec was possible.

Striker and Hector were the only two guys that I remember that boosted their Zetec successfully. I remember a couple other guys that just threw a turbo on and proceeded to blow up their engines in short order. Even though everyone on this forum was telling them what they needed to do. ...idiots...

It's still good seeing others wrenching on the underdog Zetec Contour/Mystique. I mean at 2700lbs, with a good suspension and a upgraded rear swaybar, it is an absolute blast to drive.

I should post up some pictures. I just came across a bunch from my old laptop. One was when I wrecked my '96 ATX Zetec, the insurance company totaled it out and I had 3 days to swap ALL of my mods from my ATX Zetec to my MTX Zetec. I have one photo where I'm in the process of swapping the entire rear subframes between each. Both have their asses up in the air with nothing underneath. LOL!

BP

CBMan on NECO has a turbo Zetec Cougar that's knocking on the door of 400 horsepower. It's a pretty impressive piece.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I attempted both a supercharger and a turbo. Unfortunately I never completed either. In hindsight I wish I had just concentrated on one and gotten it done. I got too caught up in upgrading the turbo before I got it on and working to twincharge it. (Which would have been epic BTW.) I still think that a 400HP Zetec was possible.

Striker and Hector were the only two guys that I remember that boosted their Zetec successfully. I remember a couple other guys that just threw a turbo on and proceeded to blow up their engines in short order. Even though everyone on this forum was telling them what they needed to do. ...idiots...

It's still good seeing others wrenching on the underdog Zetec Contour/Mystique. I mean at 2700lbs, with a good suspension and a upgraded rear swaybar, it is an absolute blast to drive.

I should post up some pictures. I just came across a bunch from my old laptop. One was when I wrecked my '96 ATX Zetec, the insurance company totaled it out and I had 3 days to swap ALL of my mods from my ATX Zetec to my MTX Zetec. I have one photo where I'm in the process of swapping the entire rear subframes between each. Both have their asses up in the air with nothing underneath. LOL!

BP

Bring on the pictures and keep the info coming. I agree, light car, tight suspension (I have BAT springs/struts and SVT E0 16"s sporting 225x50 Falkens), full poly bushings front and rear (SVT rear sway bar), and rear disc for stopping. I am there - 2689lbs, spare out and 1/2 tank - no driver.
Keeps up with my '86 VW GTI on the track.

When's the last time SleeperZ took a look here, he had a pre-98 zetec SE with a quaife, nitrous, and the stiff old SE springs. I don't remember how big a shot he was giving it, but his zetec stood up to the abuse nicely and he was picking on small block V8s at the drags. Wish I could recall what he had for his exhaust mods.

Yea, Shame about the weapon R header not being available anymore, it was the only direct fit to my knowledge... even if it wasn't a perfect design. Good thing I got 2 at the cheap ebay clearout price hehe.

I cracked the first one twice due to a sagging roll restrictor, then had an unfortunate incident with a curb. Oddly enough the weld quality on the second one looked much better.

I should probably take some recent pictures and make a thread here one day. It really is a unique car. Might even get it on a dyno soon (been working on retouching the tuning)

Back