• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Max honed SVT UIM vs. ST220

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
Without a flow-bench it's probably a useless discussion, but I'm wondering how my max-honed SVT UIM would compare to the ST220 intakes. I sent my UIM back to EH years ago for another round, and it came back notably larger than factory, and I did some finish work as well.

I've been thinking that on the next engine for the track car I want to retain the center injector port and work a few other tricks I have in mind, just debating on what UIM to go with...

I've always been biased towards the SVT UIM. I know that the ST220 manifold offers more volume overall but personally I like the dual runners and have always thought that opening them up more would net some really comparable gains.

I've always been biased towards the SVT UIM. I know that the ST220 manifold offers more volume overall but personally I like the dual runners and have always thought that opening them up more would net some really comparable gains.

To a point I agree with you. However the SVT UIM was not designed, or optimized for that matter, for anything larger then a 2.5L engine. The ST220 will beat out a SVT UIM on a 3L engine any day of the week. Now that said if you do some extreme things to an SVT UIM and LIM to enlarge the ports and EH the UIM to enlarge it to a point you may gain volume to improve the perfomance on the 3L, but the runner length's will not be optimized for the 3L engine and it's heads/cams. I'd have to work through the math to size the runner length's accordingly, but my gut tells me they'll be off from where they need to be for the power band. This again points me in the direction that I would stick with the ST220 UIM and 3L LIM for the most performance gains, especially an EH'd ST220 UIM. The runners on the ST220 intake should have been designed and optimized for the power band of the 3L (w/ST220 cams) and will perform much better then that of the SVT UIM. Just my .02, but then again what do I know I'm just an engineer that studied internal combustion intake design ;)

Yeah, The ST220 manifold is probably the best bet in a straight comparison with a stock SVT UIM. I'd love to see flow comparisons of a max-honed SVT UIM/LIM against an ST220 manifold on a 3 liter. I think realistically though the ST220 is probably the easiest and cheapest option for most people.

BTW CSVT#49, where'd you source your manifold from? What did it cost you? just curious

UK eBay. Shipping is crazy and the dollar conversion to the British pound is horrible... all together I think it was around $350 and then ~$200 or so for the Kennametal extrude hone.

long ago i posted up numbers i collected over time between all our intake manifolds.....from taurus to escape to st220 and 2.5L to 2.5L svt intake manifold to 3xtrude honed tec etc etc

Back