• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Master Cylinder, Brake Booster, WTH??

Okay, driving home, getting off the expressway, pulling up to a red light, brake pedal goes to the floor, slowly, but it eventually stops(THANK GOD)! Brakes were squishy the rest of the way(2 miles). So I get home wonder wth that was? Checked the brake fluid reservoir(full), no fluid on the ground after brake is pressed, started her up pressed the brake, it slowly goes to the floor. I don't hear any leaking, I see nothing on the ground, reservoir is still full!!!:help: Please help! I always look for answers here before anywhere else!! Thanks!!

If it was a bad booster then the pedal would be like a rock, so it's not that. Sounds like a problem inside the master cylinder to me. Just because it isn't leaking doesn't mean it's not bad.

Losing hydraulic pressure somewhere, or there is air in the system. Take it to the closest shop that will gravity bleed the brake system, unless you can jack all 4 corners up, take all 4 wheels off and open all 4 brake bleed screws, if you do this your self make sure to keep adding fluid so as to not let any(more) air in. If a gravity bleed doesnt fix the problem start looking for brake line leaks before you go ripping the car apart.

Back