• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

magnaflow M-11114 and no res

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
i'm currently running a magnaflow M-11114 and no resonator.
it's a nice sound but i think i want it a little bit louder.
right now i get a nice popping swound on a slow clutch press when changing gears and i don't want to lose that.
i don't have the money for headers so i thought of removing the main cat.
oh, this is on a 1998 SE.

i don't want rasp.....though i get a very little when the car is cold, but it goes away too fast to really complain.

i've searched older forums but didn't really get the answer i was looking for.

back pressure:shrug:

pls :help:

back pressure wise, your still going to keep most of it as your staying with the stock exhaust diameter. so that shouldnt be an issue.

i'm currently running a magnaflow M-11114 and no resonator.
it's a nice sound but i think i want it a little bit louder.
right now i get a nice popping swound on a slow clutch press when changing gears and i don't want to lose that.
i don't have the money for headers so i thought of removing the main cat.
oh, this is on a 1998 SE.

i don't want rasp.....though i get a very little when the car is cold, but it goes away too fast to really complain.

i've searched older forums but didn't really get the answer i was looking for.

back pressure:shrug:

pls :help:

Since this is a regular contour, your car works with the stock se cams. Which is for mid range power. You need to fix your exhaust system to work around what type of driving you do.

If you open your exhuast too much you lose low end. Remember you need balance between the air intake and exhaust. Both need to be free flowing to maximize power outputs.

You have the resonator delete and a new muffler.

So far you are flowing good. I would go out and buy a used svt exhaust and install that on your car. If you don't want to go that route, you can remove just the main cat. That will and i mean will increase sound but the nasty sound that you don't want to hear. The rattle can sounding exhaust:blackeye: Rasp will increase for sure around 3-4.5k and the drone will get really bad. If you don't mind those then go for removing the main cat.

You will gain some power by removing the main cat. It won't be too much loss of low end because you are still retaining the stock pre-cats. I noticed a good low end gain when i removed my main cat. But i couldn't handle the rasp so i installed a high flow cat on my car to solve that problem.

In other words its down to what you would like for a daily driver. The good thing about exhaust mods is, you can always re install what you remove.

That being said, don't go and punch out the cat. Go get a pipe welded up in its place. That way you can always reinstall the cat if you don't like the way it sounds.

quote]

Harrry, i was hoping that you would catch wind of this thread. when i did my searches, i saw where you gave pretty good advice.

I see now that I will have to do a CAI mod for this to work properly.
At this point, I'm all stock under the hood.
Yes this is a DD and there is no specified way that i drive, however, I don't want to lose the low end !

What are your thoughts on gutting or removing the pre cats and keeping the main.

My objective in this is to preserve the tone that I have now, but add a little volume.

Thanks!!:cool:

Open air intake will do several things.
1 add power.
2 add engine noise, by 30-40%
3 will increase exhaust tone. Not by much but will increase volume alittle.

Try this mod first then go on to opening the rest up. IMHO.

This air intake might be enough noise that will satisfy you.

Back