• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

made my garage smaller

rouar

fixer
Admin
So, ordinarily I wouldn't post a routine construction project, because I didn't do the work and most of you have done more impressive projects with your places. But this project counters the average car enthusiast's desire, thought I might bring some humor here. :)

Background - My condo's basement is mostly a 1-car garage with a small area for hallway/utilities, separated by a firewall. Some time about twenty years ago the wall (non-structural) between the garage and the rest of the basement was torn down. I had a few options to get the place back to code: it was easiest to put the wall back up. The wall itself was straightforward .. it's a wall ... but there was a lot of electrical that was moved/redone when the original was torn down. Most of my basement lighting and electrical was siphoned off the living room circuit, the outdoor light was split from the bathroom circuit, some odd stuff.

When redoing, the contractor added two circuits in the breaker panel for lighting and outlets. I shifted the original doorway location by a few feet to make room for the workbench. Also added a second door at the other end of the garage, an idea from my neighbor's condo. All switches relocated to both doorways - the hallway light is an existing four-way circuit and the garage lights are now on a three-way. Added three outlets on the garage side and one in the hallway.

The hallway is nearly soundproof now and I know it will help my heating bill next year, as my furnace was heating the garage (and out the garage door). The hallway will remain unfinished for now, while I finally start addressing cosmetic issues in the living room / kitchen. If I live here long enough, the furnace and water heater will be enclosed in closets, drop-down ceiling and floating laminate floor to finish it up.

full album - https://picasaweb.google.com/115397...&authkey=Gv1sRgCNyDwJPen4DiXQ&feat=directlink

Original

The wall at far right hides the staircase and was closed off when the original wall came down, so I will be opening it up this year (part of it is structural).
IMG_0259%2520-%2520Copy%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Standing at the workbench looking at rear door

IMG_0219%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Framed

IMG_0263%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0278%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Insulated, electrical in

IMG_0307%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0309%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Doors up, trimmed, primed

IMG_0386%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0370%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0373%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

The workbench needed to be cut to make room, I had them lop a chunk off so I can install shelving/storage. Smaller workspace = cleaner workspace.

IMG_0377%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

IMG_0380%2520%2528Medium%2529.JPG

Thanks :) Turned on my furnace today and it warmed up the hallway pretty quickly, didn't realize the leaky duct was that bad, so will seal it up a bit (not duct tape) and hopefully get more heat upstairs. House will still be a work in progress for a while, but the major work is done now.

Looks good! The garage space cleaned up real nice.

Your garage is almost the same as mine. It's a constant struggle to find space to work in there but I manage. I'm always having to come up with creative ways to organize and save space. You're lucky you have the other area for storage. My garage + one room in the back of it are all I have. This is how I started off for the most part but I've been working on it since.

Definitely, it's about 27 deep (enough for two small cars :ponder: ) but only as wide as the garage door itself. Can't install a jackshaft door opener, not enough space.
This guy's garage, post #3, is my inspiration should I live here long enough. :)

Haha, I remember looking at that thread and seeing his garage. My inspiration as well. My only issue is that my wall space along the back is very limited because there are two doors. One for my storage room, which goes behind my neighbors garage towards the left, and the other which is a utility room for the building that I'm technically not supposed to use for myself.

I plan on using the wall space in front of the door to the utility room but with a bench on wheels. I want to replace my garage door opener as well. The chain drive unit that the previous owner installed is extremely loud and my neighbor that is above my garage gets pissed if I use it late at night because my garage is under their bedroom.

Holy crap!! What a difference! Tony I think you need to stop buying parts, or just sell some to me. lol

Well you saw it with my 14' canoe hanging on the wall for winter storage, along with all the other crap I still had to clean up. It's better now, but not like it was in that picture. I've still got more shelving to install this summer and most of those parts on the floor will be installed soon so I'll gain back some space.

Slowly getting addicted to that site, had never heard of it until about a month ago when I sought that picture!
Tony I didn't even see your link until now.. Definitely makes sense to use a wheeled workbench in that situation. I saw a recent thread on garagejournal with two base chests tied together (back to back) with a diamond plate work surface, looked pretty slick.

Back