• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for Fuel Injector & MAF Advice

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm looking for a little bit of help picking out injectors and a MAF for the Cougar. For now I will be running the base Vortech kit (~7psi) on the 2.5L that's in the car. I think I want to go with a 39-42# injector but given that it will be a split port intake I think I want to go with a 0 degree spray angle. I also would prefer it to have an ev6 connector so I don't have to get adapters or splice connectors. I'm not sure if I could grab one out of like an 03-04 Cobra but if someone could give some advice as to what car I could grab these out of that would be awesome.

Also not sure about a MAF but was thinking maybe an 80mm lightning maf or maybe one off an 03-04 cobra. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Ok so I did a bit of research and it looks like the 03-04 cobra has oval ports and thus a 'wide' spray angle. Doing some readings on other forums this can cause a poor idle and obviously is not ideal. It also looks like the lightning injectors may be a better option but are an EV1 connector instead of EV6. Any other vehicles I could grab a larger set of injectors in an EV6 and a narrow spray pattern?

I ran the 80 mm Lightning MAF and multiple other people have done the same.

39-42 lb injectors are probably overkill for the power you'll be making, but it leaves room in the future if you want to upgrade. Either 39 or 42 lb would be fine.

Sounds like an 80mm Lightning MAF will be a good option.

I've been trying to find a table or something listing ford injectors and what cars they came in but not a whole lot of luck. I'd guess even a set of 36# injectors would do. So I guess my goal is to find a set of injectors with a narrow spray angle and ev6 connector.

If I had some Denso or RC Injectors part numbers I could look them up and see what kind of price i could sell them at. although I dont think RC has any EV6 injectors.

Hey Andy; the injectors vortec supplied with my kit are marked D11638A on the side and 0942 on the front. They are black with blue plastic ring.

hope this helps you track down the injectors more easily ..... G.

you can also run plug adapters for the plug you want to run if its different

Yes that is always a possibility. I was hoping to find a set that would plug right in without adapters but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Hey Andy; the injectors vortec supplied with my kit are marked D11638A on the side and 0942 on the front. They are black with blue plastic ring.

hope this helps you track down the injectors more easily ..... G.

Thanks for the info, it looks like they are Lucas 38# injectors with a jetronic/minitmer connector. I'm not sure about spray pattern but what I'm finding is that *most* injectors that have the jetronic/minitmer connector have a narrow pattern which is what you and I want for the split port intakes.

Here's a good pdf from Ford Racing that explains size calculations, maf sizing, injector connectors & body styles, etc...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/charts/Fuel_Injectors_and_Adaptors.pdf

i use the vortech kit also and always kept the 19 pound injectors and stock maf. i cant tell whats going on with the tune but i have been off lately and have 24 pounders to put in and try. the vortech manual does state 38 pound injectors which is in an interesting number, according to the literature above to keep the duty cycle down toward efficiency.

the stuff vortech used is pretty much still available except the brackets and all the super proprietary stuff for the contour/cougar. usually summit carries vortech gear and they indeed do have the 8F060-038 injectors for 50 a piece. does anyone have a cheaper alternative?

It seems the price skyrockets once you get to the 30# and above size injector. Here's a link to some good information on fuel injectors, part numbers, flow rates, etc... http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

Those 8F060-038 injectors are 38# Lucas injectors as Gorman cited above. They're not a bad option but you'd be looking at $300 for a set of 6... Ouch!

EDIT: Here's some more info...

So here's the stock part numbers/injectors...
SVT 19# Orange Injector (98 ‘Return’)
Bosch PN: 0280155710
Ford PN: <--- Anyone have the for PN?

SVT 19# Green Injector (99-00 ‘Returnless’)
Bosch PN: 0280155911
Ford PN: XL2E-B5A

2000 Non-SVT 17# Beige Injector (99-00 ‘Returnless’)
Bosch PN: 0280155861
Ford PN: XS2E-ASB

I have emailed Bosch looking for some technical information on these (mainly looking at spray angle) to see what they have.

EDIT 2...
Here's a great link that shows all (most?) bosch injectors with their specs... http://www.nord-com.net/stoni/docs/injector_heptan_flows.pdf

According to this the PDF the Contour w/2.5L (split port) utilizes a 'c' pattern spray. This translates to a 4-beam spray pattern. I was looking at the Bosch 'green giants' but they utilize a split beam (ideal for oval port) setup. If you look though bosch part number 0280150558 is a 42# with the 4-beam pattern and Jetronic (EV1) connector.

EDIT3...
In case anyone searches for this here's what I think I'm going to end up doing. I'll probably grab a set of Lightning 42# injectors due to being the same spray pattern as the split port intakes that I will be running. For those running an oval port 3L you would want to run something like the 03-04 Cobra (Terminator) 39# blue injectors. Obviously you'll need to do the math to make sure whatever injectors you choose are sized appropriately for the kind of power you will be making but it's a good starting point.

So as it turns out my brother has a set of FRPP 42# injectors he was gonna use on his Mustang but is going a different route and they are collecting dust. :)

But here's what I don't fully understand and maybe someone on here can help me. It seems as if a lot of people are using much smaller injectors than what the numbers recommend based on bsfc calculations. By the numbers, here's what I come up with...

Let's say I plan to be around 300 HP at the crank and let's assume a BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) of 0.60, FRPP recommends either .55 or .65 for forced induction and .5 for naturally aspirated.

Fuel flow requirement = (brake horsepower)*(BSFC)
Fuel flow requirement = (300 BHP)*(0.60lb/hr) = 180 lb/hr

Now we take and divide that by 6 (as I have 6 cylinders and therefore 6 injectors to supply that fuel)
180lb/hr/6 injectors = 30 lb/hr/cylinder (or per injector)

That means that I need 30 lb/hr assuming 100% duty cycle on the injectors. So, I need to divide by .85 to get what I need for an 85% duty cycle.
30 lb/hr/.85 = 35.3 lb/hr

This was calculated using the FRPP performance catalog calculations as a reference. Based on this, I'd be looking for a 36-38# injector based on the power I expect and given that Vortech supplies 38's with the kit (unless the previous owner is an idiot and opts to not install them) that sounds about right.

Just for reference, I ran 39# cobra injectors with the Lightning MAF in my turbo setup without idle issues.

Yea, I haven't heard any real issues with idle or driveability as long as the tuning is good. Were those on a full 3L?

I made a junkyard and got an 80mm MAF off a newer Lincoln w/v8 and grabbed the PCM code so I can import the maf curve into the tune. I'll be going with the 42# green tops for sure now and will be grabbing those from my brother next weekend.

Back