• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Local source for Heavy guage wire?

Rara

Hard-core CEG'er
Anyone know a good source for heavy guage (0/2) automotive quality wire? Someplace in the metro Detroit area, so I can pick some up in the next day or two . . .

yup. Works fantastic when I undo all the battery wiring Steeda did, and put the battery back up front. I'd leave it there, but there is no way to mount it without a LOT of custom fabrication. So, the plan right now is to run a completely seperate ground line from front to rear, and hope that works, lol.

The only thing i can think of is, maybe, you can talk Cartunes on Wayne rd to sell you some.
I can't think of anyplace that would sell it locally that beefy

Rara go to a welding supply shop and get some welding cable. Very good stuff, way better than any car stereo wiring. I am changing to this myself.

Brett, that was my plan, but a friend came through and is hooking me up w/ some proper battery cable this afternoon.

its steeda's wiring on rara's car. therefore its rara's crappy wiring.

You are correct, I am the owner of said crappy wiring, but not the perpetrator of said crappy wiring :D.

I found a way to manage it for now, so i'm driving the car again today and tomorrow, but I'm going to run a new ground on saturday, plus all the regular maintenance crap I haven't done on the car because its been sitting.

How is the wiring crappy? Adding a dedicated ground wire is rather pointless. If its the ground giving you issues then find a better ground. Both under the hood and in the trunk. Make sure all the paint is scraped off and its a good connection.

Your car is ran Identical to how I ran other cars with zero issue. Except you have a different dist. block and a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.

PS not trying to be a dick just wondering. I see my name assocated with :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty wiring. The two really don't go together.

Last edited:
How is the wiring crappy? Adding a dedicated ground wire is rather pointless. If its the ground giving you issues then find a better ground. Both under the hood and in the trunk. Make sure all the paint is scraped off and its a good connection.

Your car is ran Identical to how I ran other cars with zero issue. Except you have a different dist. block and a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.

PS not trying to be a dick just wondering. I see my name assocated with :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty wiring. The two really don't go together.

Well, I did find a couple problems w/ the terminals you put together that I had to fix, but in reality the major issue isn't anything you did. For some reason, there is just too much resistance in the sheetmetal from one end of my car to the other. I've been around and around this, and there really is no way to fix the starting issue other than a dedicated ground cable linking the front and back of the car.

That's the only thing I can figure, but it still doesn't make sense because because any of the repair is behind where the rear ground is, and everything from the repair was fully welded, not just spot welded from the factory.

Back