• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LED problems WITH an LED flasher relay. Advice!

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
I ordered some LEDs (rear turn signals, front turns are on backorder) for the car along with a flasher relay. It seems that they are on high power all the time when I have the lights turned on (parking lights and with parkinglights/headlights). Even when I have the lights off (no parking lights or anything) they are very dimly light, like 1/4 power of low power. Immediately after I turn the switch to turn on the parking lights, the LEDs go into high power mode as if Im pressing the brakes. And when I press the brakes, they hardly light up even more than that, but just a tad bit brighter. When I turn on the blinkers, they dont switch off from low to high power, but rather they go from high power to off.

Now, is this because I do not have the front turn signal LEDs installed? They are currently on back order, and Im awaiting those.

Is there some sort of leakage or something that Im completely missing that is causing this? Im at a loss. What should I be looking for?

Did you modify the circuit other than the leds? And are the leds you purchased designed for full 12v use, some are not and need an Inline resistor to function properly.

I don't have anything modified to the circuit that I can think of. I used to have DRLs, but I replaced the relay with the crossover piece to cancel the DRL in favor of running a splitter for my hibeams for my projectors, but that doesn't run through the same circuit, correct? I bought them from VLEDs and with a quick reference, the specs are Operating Voltage (Volts): DC 14.5
Forward Voltage: 9-14.5V. This shouldn't be causing the problem? Or would it?

And running an inline resistor doesn't make sense if Im already running an LED relay flasher, which is the EP35 12V led relay.

Are the front and rear bulbs the same connector? If so I would put both bulbs on one side and try again and if the problem goes away then that will mean u need the front bulbs to make it work. I don't believe that this is the problem bit it will answer one question.

I will have to play the waiting game. The front are on back order right now. But I will try it on one side. Since each side has its own circuit, that SHOULD determine if I need the fronts if they work, correct?

Well it worked out. I appreciate the help greatly. Didn't even begin to think about doing it side by side. So I guess it's just waiting to run all 4. Now if this backorder wouldn't take so long lol

VLEDs.com. I used to buy cheap Chinese eBay ones but they would have like a 60% failure rate. So I gave up. This time around I decided to actually get quality built LEDs so that's where I'm at now.

Well, problem. The fronts are fine. And the rears are fine...but ONLY when the parking lights and headlights are not on. If it's day time and no switch is on, they work fine. But right when I flip the switch to the parking lights, the brake lights go full power. Which is weird. Im at a loss :[ This problem still persists with the rear. I can run one halogen bulb and one LED bulb in the rear and it will act like it is supposed to. But the second I swap the halogen over to LED, it goes full power

An issue I noticed as well. Try to install with lights turned on. Sometimes you have to turn them around in the socket. The pinout is weird for a 3157 like ours.

Back