• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

keyless entry won't program

Jbalch

CEG'er
I bought a 98.5 SVT from a fellow GEG'r. When I bought it he said the keyless entry remotes worked fine but after we had a long hard freeze the remotes stopped functioning and he figured they just needed to be reprogrammed because the battery died during this cold weather spell also.

I tried reprogramming and get the first honk when I short the plug but no response from either fob. Bill (previous owner) said he had swapped batteries and I did also just to test it but still no luck. Everything else seems to be working just fine as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts out there on this one? Kind of stumped as everything else works and I believe the power locks wouldn't work either if it was a fuse.

Thanks!

Well... I tried programming the unit everyday and today it finally worked!! They seem a bit weak (I have to be pretty close to get them to work) so I am thinking I have 2 weak fobs (new batteries in both purchased at separate times and different brands) or I have an antennae issue, which is what I think it is. I will look into it and let you all know the results!

the range is fairly horrible, just enough to not have to use the key all the time. i have an 07 fusion in the family and the range is much much better. id like to get it upto that if possible. havent seen any one improve this that i know of.

Hear you, but being the previous owner of this SVT, I can vouch that the range was about 4 car lengths in distance. Jerry - are you saying it is now less than this? When she started working intermittently, the range was less than 2 car lengths at best - horrible as svtfixer states.

Yes, it is almost pointless, EXCEPT I can get it to unlock the passenger doors a little faster this way ;-) sometimes it is better which leads me to believe my antenna is a little funky. I still haven't dug in to look at the antenna connection yet. My old SVT would at least work from my kitchen into my driveway which is about 3-4 car lengths and through a wall, that's all I am looking for. I will keep you guys posted and take some good pictures as I do it so we can all see what the unit looks like. Stay tuned, I had a boy scout camp-out this weekend and didn't get her in the garage to look at it.

Jerry - I don't recall this keyless entry ever working from inside my house to the driveway - same distance as your house. Maybe there was an issue with the antenna all along? Yes, chronical this upcoming procedure, if you will. Hear you - Boy Scouts - have fun, no doubt. Did everyone stay dry and warm? Thanks for the feedback.

Odd enough, everything worked well for about a week (even worked inside my house to lock it). Now that we've had some rain and I've driven in it, the keyless entry won't work again. It has to be related to the moisture since when I bought it from Bill its been raining for the most part and as soon as we dry out a bit it starts working again. I hope to look this weekend but it has been low priority since it all started working well.

We did manage to stay dry camping, Bill, COLD but dry (which I'll take any day over wet)!

.... if i remember correctly, Mirez on a Uk mondeo site covered an issue with the keyless entry.

There is an antenna behind the footwell panel. If you unfurl it or even extend it, your range will improve.

I'll dig around and see if i have a link somewhere .... G.

Jerry - this is EXACTLY what I reported - moisture then nothing.....dry period then A-OK. I do have a spare keyless module, with antenna. I can most certainly see how even a small amount of moisture can ground out the antenna lead. And yes, it is obvious that this antenna was not installed in a vertical fashion as it is currently curled up in a fetal position.

Back