• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jeep fuel consumption - interesting

ContourChris

New CEG'er
Not contour related but interesting. A while back I was reading a few Jeep Liberty ads that stated great fuel consumption ratings. So I looked at the specs and found something interesting. The Canadian guide posts great results for the 4x2 at 32 (city), 40 (highway) mi/gal with the 2.4 manual. The US website states 23 (city), 28 (highway) mi/gal for the same spec car. Hmm, that's a huge difference. Any comments??

Yeah, I noticed this kind of discrepancy when I was looking at Rx8s. The difference is that a Canadian gallon is slightly larger than an American gallon.

There are some other differences. I pulled this off a government of BC site (firstthing that came up on google :D ):

1 Imperial Gallon = 4 quarts
= 8 pints
= 160 fluid ounces
= 10 pounds of water
= approx. 1.2 US gallons

1 U.S. gallon = 0.8345 or approx. 5/6 Imperial gallon
= 8.3 pounds
1 Imperial pint = 20 fluid ounces = 570 mL
1 U.S. pint = 16 fluid ounces = 475 mL

Funny stuff, and all the conversion seem right but it still doesn't solve the difference. With this the 23 US galons would be 27.6 imperial versus the stated 32.28 US gallons would be 33.6 imperial versus the stated 40. Not only is this a huge difference still but the US highway consumption is just barely better than the Canadian city consumption.

Back