• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jaguar engines?

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Has anyone tried picking up a 3.0L engine out of a Jaguar X-Type? They have 227 hp, which to me seems to be a lot more then what the Taurus engine is putting out. I guess I'm not sure whatengine family their 3L comes from or whether or not it is a Duratec. I would assume it is.

The Jaguar/Lincoln LS 3.0L engines use the same shortblock as the Escape/Taurus/MPV/Mazda6. However, they have completely different cylinder heads which have bucket tappets instead of roller finger followers. Your regular front cover and valve covers will not bolt up to these cylinder heads. Not to say that it couldn't be used, just that the amount of special fabrication would cost more than other options.

It's not worth it. Not even close to being worth it actually. They have VVT which our computers cannot control. Nobody has done it that I know of. You would need to find some way to control the VVT and you might have a chance. The VVT is the reason for the hp jump and if you can't control it then it isn't worth it. Besides have you priced a Jaguar engine vs a Taurus engine? It's like $1k more for a Jaguar engine because the salvage yards all see the brand and automatically add $1k to the price. Besides that if you had 227hp at the crank thats about 191hp at the wheels which almost all the 3L's put down already with little to no mods. I put down 220fwhp and I just have a ported 3L with bolt ons.

Back