• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is the pre98 console big guy friendly?

solo92s10

Hard-core CEG'er
Went to the junk yard today looking for parts for my f150. After a stop in the contour section I decided to pull a pre98 console, it's a swap I've always liked the look of but kinda thought maybe it would make for a tight fit in the svt. Didn't think to sit in the car today also wouldn't want too as it's been open to the elements for god knows how long and there was no room to open the door anyways.

Wouldn't have pulled it being it's the wrong color but I had to get paint for the gauge pillar anyway so not a huge deal. Also after spending a half hr pulling it I take it to the junk yard office and they hit me with a $50 price tag for just the console. At that point i was ready to walk but it was like holding a trophy in my hands and it was mine now. Ended up telling them I only had $44 in my wallet and they took it, got the console all accessors for it(broken cup holder and no ebrake boot,) , 2 bumper stays and a hood rod catch for $44. Still not the deal I was hoping for butt better than the $60 they originally wanted.

Pics of how I pulled it.

jeduba8u.jpg

And after a good cleaning.

yhasa9yt.jpg

So my question is. Do you think a 6'5" , 275lb guy will fit ok with this console. My general concern is that I rest my leg under the radio now and if that opening is gone will my new hit the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

^ that's all you pulled out????

You need the radio bezel, the small filler piece above the ashtray, the X-bracket that screws under the radio bezel, and both filler kick panels on either side of the console where it meets under the dash/firewall area :blackeye:.

It doesn't matter if it is MTX or AUTO, the consoles are the same. The shifter boot/trim are inserts that fit into the common console. You should have grabbed a console with a good ebrake boot, cup holder, and the rest of the trims I mentioned.

I got the filler kick panels, but not the rest you mentioned. I didn't know you needed the rest. I can grab that stuff from another yard. The radio trim was already broken so I couldn't get that anyway. And it know thee the shifter trim was the only diff but I never found the 5speed trim bezel so since this one had it it got my interest.
Thanks for the heads up on the other parts needed. If it wasn't supposed to rain the next three days I'd make another trip, guess I'll have to wait a bit.

$50 for a console?! Damn, what yard did you go to?
I'm planning to hit the yard in New Ringgold next week, they have a pretty decent Ford section, and a ton of pre-98's. I'll let you know if I find a better console there...

Damnit... Your right. I knew something looked different but never thought ford would change something like that between mystique and contour. Well I guess that was a waste of $$.

And yea I won't be going back to that yard again. I used to always to there but now they built a new office building and made the place nicer. So now they have to raise thier prices I suppose. But that's not my idea of a junk yard.

Damnit... Your right. I knew something looked different but never thought ford would change something like that between mystique and contour. Well I guess that was a waste of $$.

And yea I won't be going back to that yard again. I used to always to there but now they built a new office building and made the place nicer. So now they have to raise thier prices I suppose. But that's not my idea of a junk yard.

What yard was it?

Meases in elizabethtown, the girl at the counter took like 5 min looking up prices online. She said other yards are asking $75. Ha. I'll go a little further to lutrells from now on.

How close are you to EZ-Pull in New Ringold? Their prices are crazy cheap, I just picked up a very nice, un-cracked SVT front bumper w/ mesh and fogs for $50.

I can nab entire center consoles from junkyards here for $15 each including the ebrake boot. That's dang expensive out there.

Responding to: So my question is. Do you think a 6'5" , 275lb guy will fit ok with this console.
Owning both a '95 'Tour w/MTX75 and the '98.5 SVT, I can report their is "no difference" in my also similiar frame to yours, in either ride.

Responding to: So my question is. Do you think a 6'5" , 275lb guy will fit ok with this console.
Owning both a '95 'Tour w/MTX75 and the '98.5 SVT, I can report their is "no difference" in my also similiar frame to yours, in either ride.

Thanks. When I go to pull the proper console im going to sit in one to see how it feels and make sure its not uncomfortable. My 95 talon tsi was so tight that I installed an aftermarket smaller steering wheel just to get a little bit of room.

Back