• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interesting -- Parking brake

Phil Rohtla

Hard-core CEG'er
I have been operating under the belief that the rear calipers on my CSVT were stuck, and that the parking brake cable broke because of it.

Apparently not so. My mechanic cut the old cables to replace them, and the calipers released. He says that the calipers move freely by hand, and that they work just fine now. Apparently the handbrake handle and mechanism was a mess. He will now replace that item, and I don't need new calipers after all.

I wonder if this could have contributed to the ABS light coming on, and the codes reading that the ABS controller was screwed?

i have a ? for you. is the parking brake a drum brake inside the rotor hat? or is it hooked to the caliper? i have never touched the rear brakes

i have a ? for you. is the parking brake a drum brake inside the rotor hat? or is it hooked to the caliper? i have never touched the rear brakes

the rear brake is the parking brake ... hense why you don't want to set the parking brake hard and to soon after agressive driving with hard braking ....

the rear brake is the parking brake ... hense why you don't want to set the parking brake hard and to soon after agressive driving with hard braking ....

ok nice! i was under the car last night replacing some bushings and looked at the rear brakes and it looked like there was no drums inside the rotor hat.

Last edited:
I picked the car up last night: my brakes are back! Man, what a difference too. Good on my mechanic as well for sorting it out. EVERYBODY who looked at it thought it was bad calipers.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the p-brake mechanism to demonstrate the problem.

In due time....I will soon have a rear Wilwood caliper to match that of the front kit WITH a parking brake integrated into it. Yes, it's finally in final production form and "hope" to have on in hand by the end of the year.

Is is a "performance caliper"? The answer is no. It's still a floater but with a cable actuated parking brake as you have now.

"Then what's the point"? Both the fact that fits up to 13" rotors and that it will have the matching Wilwood body look to it.

"How much, I gotta have it!" Don't know yet.

Back