• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest check: rear strut tower braces

csvtguy

CEG'er
I'm developing an extremely lightweight yet very functional rear tower brace using 1/2in steel. This is just a prototype quickly built for design styling display purposes only but even this prototype is rigid as is and weighs just under 3lbs. This photo is merely a prototype and adjustments are being made to this design, but a solid straight bar using 1x1 or 2x1 with mounting hardware I can make relatively quickly and fairly
cheap if anyone wants one

Attachments

• photo16633.jpg
    photo16633.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
No Title

Well I made some provisions, finished the welds, did some tests, and even this prototype is solid as a rock. If anyone was to make a purchase for one it will be much cleaner and perfected.Originally quickly constructed to display design aspects, but this prototype is fully measured out, straight and true and still weighs just under 3 lbs. Its fully
scca legal as a 2 point bar so as the dummy product I'm going to paint it tonight and shoot for install tomo afternoon or the next

Attachments

• photo16634.jpg
    photo16634.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 1
I am interested in how the finished product will be installed. Also does this ride the floor between the towers or is it a mid or high mount? And is this made with square tubing because you don't have provisions to do round? Because if this was round tubing I'd have already paid you for it lol.

Ian

No Title

Well i painted it red and installed the prototype today but it was getting late and my cam on my phone doesn't have a flash so I tried to use a crappy led light and that still didn't work lol. .. Took it out and whipped it around the city for about a 1/2 hr with a huge grin on my face! I'm extremely pleased at how it has turned out. I used the square steel for quick cuts and assembly, design progress and viewing etc but after I had it all together and welded it was solid as a mofo and weighs practically nothing at just under 3lbs so i said what the hell..But I suppose I could do round tubing as well...

Attachments

• photo16644.jpg
    photo16644.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Also I could do just straight bars at a very reasonably lower price. But will be heavier and not as fancy Imo. Will work just as well though

I'm developing an extremely lightweight yet very functional rear tower brace using 1/2in steel. This is just a prototype quickly built for design styling display purposes only but even this prototype is rigid as is and weighs just under 3lbs. This photo is merely a prototype and adjustments are being made to this design, but a solid straight bar using 1x1 or 2x1 with mounting hardware I can make relatively quickly and fairly
cheap if anyone wants one

I have some interest depending on final price.

Took it out and whipped it around the city for about a 1/2 hr with a huge grin on my face! I'm extremely pleased at how it has turned out.

I am skeptical that the difference would be that dramatic.

Back