• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

installing strut assembly HELP

bs98contour

New CEG'er
Having problems installing strut assembly back onto knuckle. Its oem spring & strut assembly. Are there any tricks to getting it back into the car?

sand the inside of the knuckle where the strut goes to remove any rust build up. if that don't work spread the pinch area a little. and make sure they are square going in, if there not they won't go in no matter how hard you force them.

I got the strut back onto the knuckle no problem. I cant get the knuckle back on to LCA. While the knuckle is on just the strut the bottom of the knuckle is pointing way out away from the center of the car.

I use a big long pipe and sit on it and push the knuckle over the ball joint, I and it in so it holds itselfe the I gtake the pipe out and then I give a good wack on the bottom of the knuckle and she slides in. if still not all the way in put a jack under the lca and put pressure on it, and tap the bottom of the knuckle.

I use a big long pipe and sit on it and push the knuckle over the ball joint, I and it in so it holds itselfe the I gtake the pipe out and then I give a good wack on the bottom of the knuckle and she slides in. if still not all the way in put a jack under the lca and put pressure on it, and tap the bottom of the knuckle.

Thanks this solved the problem been fighting with this for the longest, trying to come up wit crazy ways to use spring compressor & it was that simple.

Back