• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

in need of struts....

los350

CEG'er
well I did do the whole search thing, but considering some of the posts date back to 2008 I figured Ill ask you guys for more an up to date answer. Not all the struts can be found due to them being discontinued.

I have a 98 svt contour, Im looking at getting some new struts and eventually lowering springs.
With my online searching I seem to come across the kyb G2's pretty much for $145 for the front and $160 for the rear... The koni yellows are too rich for my blood. I don't drive the car hard enough to even see the point in getting them. and then I see the monroe struts which are pretty cheap, and my guess is they wont really work well with lowering springs..

My question to you guys is if the kyb's have a noticeable difference between the monroes or if there happens to be another strut out there that will work well without breaking the bank, or my bank, as the koni yellows.. I do see that the andy's auto sport website seems to have the lowest price on the kyb's that I can find. I will be purchasing some BG lowering springs most likely..I would like some eibachs but cant seem to find them anywhere.

any websites or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to stick with a stock style strut kyb gr2 are no better than monroe. If lowering its best to go with bat struts or koni. Personally i have ran and would run monroes with lowering springs. Konis are nice and worth the money if you have it to spare. Only reason i have the is because i ran into a used
Set for a good deal.

I would go with the BAT struts.

The Monroes and KYB's are stock replacements for the standard V6 Contour, not high-rate like the original SVT struts. So those would be a step down, IMO. They would be better than blown-out stock SVT struts, but not as good as new. Probably not a really perceptible difference unless you are really driving your car like you should :)

I will say I LOVE my koni's lol but if you're gonna spend the coin on them spend the extra $150-200 on full coilovers.

thanks guys.. is there a particular website where I can find these bat struts? If theres not much a difference I might lean towards the monroes to save some money, Im not planning on running my contour hard, just a dd. I live in fl too the roads down here are in good shape no pot holes barely any curves. I just need to change the suspension asap, theyre the originals from 98, car feels like a boat.. damn near get sea sick going over the speed bumps in my complex lol

AJUSA has Koni's for $168 each, which isn't all that far off of the KYB G2 rear price of $160 you quoted. If you're going to spring for struts, you should also drop the coin for new upper mounts and front strut bearings, it's more expensive to do it right, but you only do it once.

http://www.ajusa.com/KONI-Sport-Shock-AbsorberStrut-c2dfev10fdq8138.html

I've had BAT Struts on my 99 CSVT for about a year now and they're decent, but seem to lack the compression damping of the OEM struts, the car pitches more than I like under acceleration and braking, which is why I'm building some coil overs from a new set of Konis.

BAT Inc's web site. They don't have a web store, you call them on the phone and order old fashioned style.

gmorell thanx for the the advice on the front strut bearings, I didnt even know about that. My lower control arms are shot so Im replacing them, but when Im stand still and I turn my steering wheel left and right real fast I hear a noise from my left strut which I believe is the strut mount. when I go over speed bumps with my wheel turned a little bit I hear a squeak which is probably the bearing now that you mentioned that it seems to make sense to me.. and the price I quoted above was per pair.. not each I shouldve mentioned that

I personally have the Bilsteins on my Roush—I ordered them from BAT. They are OUTRAGEOUSLY firm, but they suit the Roush springs and other suspension mods I have PERFECTLY, and I love the setup. With the SVT Focus in the garage as well, I've developed a preference for a very firm ride, so it just suits my personal driving taste, too. If I was not using this car for autocross, I would absolutely be using the BAT struts for their balance of performance and price.

I sent you a message svttour... I would like to go down to the fl meet your having but I work weekends..

replied... request that weekend off you have plenty of time. plus there are going to be many people here. Its very fun.

Back