• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Imrc ?

double_u_4

Veteran CEG'er
i found this in a post from the previous owner about my car-
Now as for the IMRC... chances are you have a full 3L swap based on the description of your intake. If that is the case you no longer need the IMRC box. However your ECM thinks you do, so it is looking to see if it is there and functioning. If you have the IMRC box present, plug the harness into it and your CEL will go away. If you no longer have the IMRC box then... well deal with the CEL, or buy yourself one out of a junk yard and hook it up to the harness.

is the IMRC box the silver box infront of the UIM on the valve cover. also what harness is he talking about plugging into it

Yes it is the silver box bolted to the valve cover. The harness is the electrical plug coming out of the right side of the box.

well i do have 1 & the harness is plugged in. there is a cable coming out of it but that isnt going to anything. is this IMRC even doing anything on the 3L swap. the guy from the previous owners post i found it in said having 1 would remove the CEL, well i still have the light on saying the IMRC is stuck open

Ok so your car has a full 3l right? If so the po probably hooked it up to trick the pcm. It isn't doing anything for your full 3l. If your still getting a code then it must have quit working. I am not 100% sure but maybe a full 3l guy will chime in with his thoughts.

yes it is a full 3L. so u think if i replace it with a new 1 it will turn off the CEL?i realize it wouldnt be doing anything for the engine it self, just wondering if it will turn off the light for when i have to get the emissions done. here in IL if your CEL is on its an automatic fail

Ya but if i hav 2 take it gor an emissions netime soon il b screwed. I do want to get it tuned but i dnt hav the $ for that now. Been laid off for a yr & a half, then i finfinally go back for a month then got hurt on the job so im back sittin. So funds r a lil tight.

follow the cable coming out of the IMRC box. if its not hooked to anything then it will constantly stay open and throw the CEL. what you need to do to fool the system is to hook the end of the cable to a spring so that it pulls the cable back out of the box when the IMRC is not activated.

from when i looked at it, i thought the cable was just laying there not hooked to anything. and i didn't know it could be.

follow the cable coming out of the IMRC box. if its not hooked to anything then it will constantly stay open and throw the CEL. what you need to do to fool the system is to hook the end of the cable to a spring so that it pulls the cable back out of the box when the IMRC is not activated.

when its not activated? does that mean all the time/permanantly. just close it for good?

ya its not connected to anything. what would i connect the spring to to pull the cable out? is it something i can pull out by hand & then tie off or something

you need to make some sort of device that will do it. maybe someone who has pictures can post a few. but u have to fabricate such a thing

just make some sort of device with a spring that will keep pulling on the cable. and when the imrc will try to open the secondaries, i will simply pull the spring to simulate the "secondaries opening" to the ecu

screw the IMRC bracket (at the end of the cable) down somewhere and run a spring through the end of the cable and secure the other end of the spring somewhere so there is tension on the line at all times and the IMRC can pull on it when it opens.

screw the IMRC bracket (at the end of the cable) down somewhere and run a spring through the end of the cable and secure the other end of the spring somewhere so there is tension on the line at all times and the IMRC can pull on it when it opens.

pretty cool idea. hope it works out for you mike.

Back