• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IMRC Harness Loose..? Help!

Savior

CEG'er
OK, so someone pointed out in a previous thread that my secondaries no longer opening up at 2-3k rpm most likely means there's either something wrong with my IMRC, or the associated harness may be looses/broken. I was idling on a weird grade/hill-side the other day in a parking lot, with the passenger side of the car being a foot or so lower than the driver side, and suddenly the secondaries opened up (I heard that familiar howling, vacuum-cleaner sound) when I put it in gear and revved it slightly to get it moving! Then they wouldn't start again after that, once I was back on flat ground.

Could this mean a loose wiring harness..? I'd love to check it to the best of my limited ability before I take it to a shop to potentially get raped for hundreds of dollars. Can someone describe to me what it looks like, where it is, maybe point me in the direction of a diagram or something? I'd be grateful; my SVT is pretty sluggish right now with no secondaries, even with an XCAL2 chip. :(

Wow, you nailed it; mine is an E0. What did you do to fix this?

Also, I've been searching for threads on here and googling images of "contour imrc" and similar terms with little success... Could someone help me out here? Where is the harness? Here is the IMRC?

I started the car up this cold Washington February morning and the secondaries opened up very loudly, but as soon as the car started to warm up, they would not respond or open anymore.

Also, my engine's been getting very hot. I just had it in for a tune-up/engine check, and they topped off my fluids, and I verified that my engine fan was blowing this morning (it's fine). What could cause my engine to heat up like this? I think the heat may be preventing the IMRC from working..

IMRC is under the front vanity plate on the front valve cover. The control unit itself is a box with a cable and a harness going to it.

Do you have any stored codes at the moment for IMRC circuit incomplete P1520 or ever tripped one?

Back