• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

idle problem

Seafire XV

CEG'er
I have a 99 CSVT with returnless fuel rail. On start up the engine runs fine. It seems to be on the auto choke for about a quarter mile of driving with no problems, then it seems to go off the choke setting and the engine wants to die when I come to a stop, it won't idle and I have to stay on the throttle . It runs fine once its fully warmed up. Any help will be most appreciated.

There is no choke, the engine is computer controlled. Sounds like there maybe a vacuum leak. Have you checked for codes and any OBD data to see how the fuel trims look?

There's a throttle position sensor, that i believe handles the idle. My crapped out & mine won't even start, years back.

Several causes for this. Possible vacuum leak. The vacuum lines are very brittle. You can locate them near the EGR by the back corner of the upper intake manifold. Follow the 3 or 4 lines that are there and look for breaks. This can and will cause high, low or erratic idles. Also check the Idle Air Control valve. These are prone to fail and will also cause low or high idle issues and if it is causing a low idle it has a very high chance of stalling while idling or coming to a stop. It may also cause a long crank to start. It is on the back of the upper intake manifold near the vacuum lines. Also check your throttle body is clean and moving freely. Carbon deposits are likely on the back side of the throttle body and you may as well remove the TB from the UIM and you’ll probably find a lot more carbon deposits in the intake manifold. Also make sure all your plugs and sensors on the intake tube are all clean and connected properly.

Just an update. The problem was caused by a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Had it fixed and now it runs like a new car! Thanks for everyone's help.

Just an update. The problem was caused by a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Had it fixed and now it runs like a new car! Thanks for everyone's help.
Awesome! The vacuum lines on these cars are super brittle at this age. The majority of my vacuum lines are held together with electrical and duct tape and holding strong after a year. When I bought the car I swear every vacuum line was leaking and broken to some degree. The big vacuum line coming off the pcv valve was melted and not even connected, while all the ones at the back of the manifold were cracked or broken and not connected. I don’t even know how I drove the car 2 hours home lol

I'm also having an idle issue with my 95 L4. It's always idled rough but now It's not starting too good either. Wants to repeatedly stall. I've looked for vacuum leaks with no luck, replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, ignition wires, cleaned the intake manifold, replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, etc. Now I'm thinking about replacing the fuel cannister solenoid. I do hear a hum come out of the fuel tank area when I shut off the car and park it. No codes at all. Any tips or ideas? Thanks!

Back