• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I hate all the Rear Trailing Arm, Rear Axle and Knuckle Bushings.

nikolasvel

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had replaced any of those bushings in the rear of the car (Trailing arm, axle or knuckle). I have a 2000 SE and thought of giving it a good service, since its been so good to me all these years. I went ahead and replaced all the axles and bushings in the front and thought of moving to the back, but it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be. The rear of the car bangs all the time, because the bushings are all worn, but i cant get the freaking bushings out. I was wondering if any of you had replaced them or if you had any good ideas on how to get them out. The only bushings that i have managed to get out so far are those that seat on the trailing arm, but those on the knuckles especially where the trailing arm and axles mount on are impossible to get out. I am pretty sure i can get the ones on the actual rear axles out, but i am not doing so till i can get my rear knuckles free of the old bushings.

Also, if i do remove the rear axles and replace the bushings, will i be messing up the rear camber??? and if so when i am done and take the car in for alignment, will they be able to fix it? I dont want to create a bigger problem for my self.

energy suspension makes a kit, there is a really good how-to that Pole120 made....I followed it when I did mine. You basically burn the old bushings out of the arm, then you need to use a hole saw to cut the bushing out of the knuckle. From there you need to cut a relief in the metal sleeve inside the knuckle and pull it out. After that just press the new bushings in.

When I did mine I used a shop press and it worked great. Also I bought two of the energy suspension kits and replaced the trailing arm bushings and also the control arm bushing in the knuckle, but the end of the control arm had to be spread apart to fit over the new bushing, not hard to do and made a noticeable improvement in how tight the back of the car felt.

All of those are good techniques, except for trying to burn it out. Don't do that. Makes a disgusting mess, stinks up the neighborhood, and doesn't really help at all. Just cut them out.

Anyone have a part number for the Energy Suspension kit that has the trailing arm bushings? The website doesn't show to much info.
Do you get both bushings for the arm and the knuckle ?

Thanks

We need to get that link for Pole's how-to in the archive of how-to's so this can be found easily in the future.

Back