• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How-to Repair IMRC cable

dukeofsho

Veteran CEG'er
IMRC cable repair
Here's how I repaired my cable.
-Remove IMRC from engine
PICT4897.jpg

-Disassemble IMRC by removing cover. I used a razor blade to cut the silicone from the housing.
PICT4899.jpg

-Remove the circuit board, motor, gear and shaft (carefully pry loose the retainers), nylon gear and cable from nylon gear.
PICT4902.jpg

PICT4904.jpg

-Cut off barrel end as close as possible. save the barrel end. Remove inner cable from outer plastic.Take a measurement of the inner cables length.
PICT4905.jpg

-Using a low speed drill and a 1/16 cobalt drill bit ($3.00 at local hardware store) drill hole through barrel.
PICT4908.jpg

-I tried using several different cables from the local hardware store. Neither will work due to the hardness of the cable. Use automotive grade cable.
PICT4920.jpg

How-to repair IMRC cable pt 2

How-to repair IMRC cable pt 2

-I found this hood release kit at my local Parts store for about $20.00. (HELP pt# 03323. This cable has the same diameter as the IMRC cable.
PICT4924.jpg

-Discard everything but the cable and barrel lock.
PICT4925.jpg

-Measure your new cable and cut about a 1/2 longer (needed later for adjustment).
PICT4929.jpg

-Thread new cable through previously drilled barrel from IMRC. Let the cable stick out about 1/4".
PICT4930.jpg

Then Tack weld cable to barrel. (Your local welder should be able to do this step).
PICT4933.jpg

-File down weld just enough to fit back inside of nylon wheel without binding.
PICT4934.jpg

-Reinstall cable, nylon wheel, gear, shaft, retainers (might have to use a small hole punch to dimple the housing).
PICT4935.jpg

-Reinstall circuit board and motor. add a tiny bit of silicon to seal the cover to the housing.
PICT4939.jpg

-Now install plastic clip and locking barrel to your measured mark. Tighten. Reinstall on your engine. If any adjustment it needed just loose the barrel lock and adjust. YOUR DONE!
PICT4941.jpg

Hope this helps.

What is that last brass piece? What is it called, where do you acquire? Way too much work when there are plenty in the junk yards. At least here. I'm sure there will be a time when they will be gone though. Nice write up!

not to hijack this thread but i bought a replacement bike derailleur cable and a length of cable housing fit fine and i could make it longer fo rerouting of the cable we brazed a very small nut on the end of the cable and it only cost me about 3 or 4 bucks iirc

Go to a motorcycle dealer and look for a clutch or throttle cable. Just tell them what you're looking to do and have them just pull a pile of them out. Local dealer worked with me one day when I had a multi-million $$$ line done because a stupid rinky dink cable makino used broke. i replaced it with a clutch cable from a YZ450F, we make harley shifter forks on that line.....The owners were rather amused by that.

What is that last brass piece? What is it called, where do you acquire? Way too much work when there are plenty in the junk yards. At least here. I'm sure there will be a time when they will be gone though. Nice write up!

I've always had bad luck with junkyard IMRCs. My wifes SHO had had 2. Both broke. Honestly it only took me maybe 20 min start to finish, plus now I have a new cable.

The brass piece is called a "Cable Stop Clamp" Help pt# 03336

You could also use the bike brake/shift cable what ever fits. :)

Back