• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to crack open contique tail lights?

compudude86

CEG'er
anybody have experience opening the contique tail light housing? it seems to be melted together, when I tried to dremel the bottom between the red/black layer it didn't seem to be going anywhere... any help appreciated

i tried baking a spare taillight i hve for my sho and the lense melted and warped before the glue ever softenened up. i ended up using a dremel to cut it open. not sure what bit you are using but there is a huge variety, cant remember the one i used but it worked well just have to keep it at a lower speed so as not to melt the plastic to your bit.

I cut mine open with a dremel. They melt the plastic together when they build them so there isn't any malleable glue in there that can be heated and chipped away like the headlights. I cant see any other way of doing it

is there any specific route you took to cut yours open? I only see the bottom seam, and I cant seem to figure out how to dremel all around the lens without complete destruction, maybe i'm just blind...

Um I don't have one in front of me at the moment but cutting all around the perimeter and then gluing and bracing them back together would be what I would do. On my SHO lights (2 bulbs and chambers) I had to cut them appart like puzzles... What are your plans for these lights?

How about you mystiquevltwin? the reason is im trying to get inside them, pull out the reflector behind the lens, and mod in LEDs in some fashion or another, not sure yet what design or method will be used but I think it will look better than a retrofit LED bulb from ebay...

Um I don't have one in front of me at the moment but cutting all around the perimeter and then gluing and bracing them back together would be what I would do. On my SHO lights (2 bulbs and chambers) I had to cut them appart like puzzles... What are your plans for these lights?

That is just how I did mine. I just cut along where the red plastic met the black. Came apart with no problem.

Well, :censored::censored::censored::censored:. I got the light open. not how I wanted to, with a giant crack in the front lens. but now I see what you mean. I will wait for another lens, and try again, carefully this time...

EDIT: come to think of it, I did ask how to CRACK open the tail light....

EDIT EDIT: two worthless tail lights now. the top and trunk lid side seems to be where the hard part is, it is like it is welded inside where you cant get to it...

I actually just did this to make my own tail lights. I took a small flat head screwdriver and worked it into the seam between the lens and housing. I then took a pair or wire cutters (cause I dont own a light hammer) and gently tapped the screwdriver around the seam to "crack" it loose. BE CAREFUL!!! Too hard and you can crack a lens! The tricky part is around the trunk side. I followed the same method to knock off the excess from the weld, then stuck it in and started whacking it. Gently, of course. Patience is the key. Ive done this a few times and still have a hard time around the trunk area. Ill some pics in a few minutes.

screwdriver.
IMAG0570.jpg

before
IMAG0572.jpg

starting point
IMAG0571.jpg

top loose
IMAG0575.jpg

working around
IMAG0576.jpg

lens off
IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

finished product
IMAG0580-1-1.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

Interesting thread . I am planning to cut mine open and install amber led strip for turn signal . I will also get rid of the outer ( red) lens since i have a Mystique and do a light tint . I am not really sure how to wire the amber led strip as a turn signal though... need to so some research .

The easiest way to wire them up is to just cut the insulation off of the tail light wires (black/ground, blue/signal)and lead wires off led lights, maybe half inch at the most, and wrap the corresponding wires together and tape them up. PRESTO! You're done!

Back