• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do you change Climate Control Back Light Bulbs?

'98ZetecSE

CEG'er
It looks like one of mine has burned out. Can someone briefly explain the procedure? Any different bulb types?

Pull the bezel, pull the hvac, change the bulb. Not sure what the bulb # is... Probably won't be something that the local chain store will stock either.

Thank you. Do you take the knobs off first? Any trick to getting the bezel off? I'm thinking that this is in the Haynes manual but I don't have it with me. It would probably be wise to change both (if there is 2) wile I'm at it.

there are 2 bulbs, both the same. the following is assuming you have a 98+ based on your screen name. for the bezel, there is either 2 or 4 screws on the under side of the bezel you will have to remove the center console to get to the 2 closest to the front of the car. once you have those screws out you just give the bezel a tug and it will come out. there are then 2 screws that hold the HVAC controls to the dash, remove those and pull it out. you can get to the bulb holders without unplugging anything from the back of it.

I saw the two screws that are obstructed by the center console. It's a biger job than I was hoping for but I'll probably do it in the next week or so. Thank you.

I have removed the visible screws in the console but it is held in around the shifter/selector(It's an ATX). Does the trim around the selector come out revealing screws that hold the console sections together? If so, do you use credit cards to pry it out? I guess if there is a phillips screw driver that is bent 90 degrees I could get the dash screws out without removing the console.

It looks like I'm just talking to myself now: I got the selector plate off but I still can't see what is holding the two halfs together. Is there just a tab in the top that fits into a slot in the bottom? i.e. do you just pry the top part out?

the top part just pops out of the front/lower part, its just 2 clips so give it a little yank and it should pop out.

Thank you. That worked. However, I was hoping to push the front console forward enough that I could remove the 2 screws closest to the front of the car but it still won't move. It seems that the shift handle must come off so the console(s) can be lifted out.

I got the 4 screws out of the IP bezel but I want to get some trim tools before I try to pry it out. Also, it seems the radio is attached to it. Does it need to be removed?

Back