• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hitting up the track....tips?

Sa2ah

CEG'er
hey guys, So it's track season agian for us here in Ont.canada.
just wanted to get some tips and input on what people launch at (rpm)? and shifting points??

oh i drive a '99 svt contour...lol

No wheel hop... Come out of the hole easy, keep wheel spin to a minumum.
Dont expect better than a 15.4 and you'll be fine.

Tip....don't shatter the differential.

From what I hear, most people launch at 2-3K rpms and gently letting off the clutch to prevent wheel hop. Then just ripping it down the track after that.

yea i raced a couple times last year, and had mad wheel hop,
i keep it around 2.5k, and let it off easy

I am just going down there with a bunch of people, not looking to be the fastest, cuz i know i wont be (couple SVT lightnings, S/CRegal, turbo grand prixs)haha

Tip....don't shatter the differential.

From what I hear, most people launch at 2-3K rpms and gently letting off the clutch to prevent wheel hop. Then just ripping it down the track after that.

if you plan on drag racing often, an LSD will be a real good idea.

I only tried to launch hard once and learned the hard way, burned the hell out of my clutch. be very carefull at launch so you don't grenade your diff and clutch. also I would shift right around 6k rpms.

The fastest drag strip work I've seen in a stock/near stock CSVT was by an old member here, svt2000, in a 99 CSVT that had just a catback, and a K&N air filter, he ran a 14.7 at Norwalk ohio.

It's been awhile, so hopefully I'm remembering correctly, but he told me he launched at 5500 rpm, and let the clutch slip to avoid wheelhop, and shift as close to the rev limiter as you can without actually hitting it, something like 6500rpm.

keep in mind, driving like this is extremely hard on everything int he drivelline, so don't come crying to me if your stuff breaks. But, it worked for svt2000, he never had any major issues with his car for the time he owned it.

The fastest drag strip work I've seen in a stock/near stock CSVT was by an old member here, svt2000, in a 99 CSVT that had just a catback, and a K&N air filter, he ran a 14.7 at Norwalk ohio.

It's been awhile, so hopefully I'm remembering correctly, but he told me he launched at 5500 rpm, and let the clutch slip to avoid wheelhop, and shift as close to the rev limiter as you can without actually hitting it, something like 6500rpm.

keep in mind, driving like this is extremely hard on everything int he drivelline, so don't come crying to me if your stuff breaks. But, it worked for svt2000, he never had any major issues with his car for the time he owned it.

Im sure Norwalk had something to do with those good times as well. Its a good track. ;)

Back