• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hissing from engine and dies

ghosstryda

New CEG'er
I recently had the fuel pump changed out about two weekends ago. Car was overdue for smog and it failed the smog because battery was disconnect and reset the ecu. according to the owner's manual, i need to driver the car at freeway speeds for about 10 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of city like driving with 4 idle intervals and park her for 8 hours and the catalyst would be ready again.

I was trying to do just that over the weekend and the engine failed on me. I was cruising the freeway at around 70-75mph and heard a hissing noise from the engine. the noise sounded like when you let air outta your tire. The car felt normal thou and noise went away after a minute. Then the noise came back and this time my car stuttered for just a brief second and all the lights on my dash came on and went away as quick as the stutter i just felt and noise went away. The third time the nose came back, i took the next exit off the freeway and parked my car. tried to restart her and she won't turn over and no clicks nothing, just dead. looked under the hood and everything looked normal, no smoke no fluids leaked nothing, just normal. Towed the car back home and maybe, miraculously, it'll start... Nope, nothing as keys turned, no clicks nor sound from starter relay.

I'm thinking at the least, its a dead starter but that doesn't explain the hissing noise my engine was making just prior to it dying. If its not as simple as just changing out some parts, i think its gonna be the junk yard for my csvt.... I'd hate to let it go though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hunt up a voltmeter and check the battery. If the battery dies, contrary to popular myth, the alternator will not keep the engine running for terribly long.

Occam's razor: Eliminate the simple, obvious things first.

Back