• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with my setup...Alpine Type R's

gomach1

Veteran CEG'er
Ok so the new csvt i got, came with no stereo...he had a system in it and he sold it cheaper without it. Well upon further inspection, he left alpine 6 or 6.5 round type R speakers, tweeters and type R crossover.
Ive never used crossovers or alpine components... what would be the best headunit to power them with? and should i run them through an amp? Id rather not, but i can. Not looking for teeth shaking sound. I just want some overall good sound through the spectrum...

I believe they are good components, or should i ditch them for something else/simpler?

Those are good speakers and can be ran off radio power but I recommend an amp to get the most from them. Really any radio you prefer will work. Me myself I prefer Alpine headunits.

no they suck give them to me:laugh:. no but they are pretty good. i have Infinity Kappas with the crossover in mine with out an amp. but just like bgrogan said you can use what ever headunit u would like. they will work fine without an amp but will sound better with 1. without an amp itll sound a lil better than stock but if u put an amp it will give it some more bass & the highs will be clearer. the crossover is just because the speaker has the lows & mid/highs all in 1 componant & it just seperates the power supply to them. thats y they have 1 set of wires going to the crossover & 2 sets coming out to the speaker.

The speakers can be ran off the headunit but will sound muddy do to the low power they will receive. You can add a low power (around 50w) amp to give them a stronger cleaner signal. As for headunit, are you looking to add amps in the future? If you plan on doing so, look for one with at least 2 pre outs. What is your budget? Regardless of what you get, don't expect a lot of bass out of them. Our cars do not produce very good bass or midbass with just a set of components. You need to use sound deadening in multiple layers to stop panel resonances and outside noise.

Back