• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

head unit/refer a friend

yomanwill

CEG'er
I have searched up and down to find a head unit that meets these criteria:

MP3 playback
AUX input in front
CEA-2006 compliant
FM sensitivity less than 10dBf
preamps

priced no more than $120

a la Sony CDX-GT200

but I'll probably go with this one: gt300

So, I jus want to see if there are any other head units that fit the critrea...and....
http://www.crutchfield.com has a refer a friend deal...except I need someone to refer me

and how many sets of preamps will i really need?

sony GT series is way better than what sony HU used to be... still not the best HU with there but better than before and including more option than competition for the same price

I'd stay away from Sony. If you only want to spend $120, I suggest looking at some pioneers. Headunits aren't the easiest thing to find that cheap. You could always go DUAL if you wanted cheap, but that's far from quality.

On the side of pre-amps, it depends. If you have subs, you'll want one for subs. I doubt you're gonna want to run interal speakers off another amp if you're looking at a $120 HU.

Last edited:
I have been looking at a pioneer unit

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Ejtb29mRlN/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=130DEHP480&wm=su

but since its not CEA compliant I kinda want to know how the arrived at thier nubmers for RMS wattage; kinda want to compare apples to apples

if it's CEA it means Using 14.4 volts, RMS watts are measured into a 4-ohm impedance load at 1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, at a frequency range (for general purpose amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms.

Pionner uses: All channels driven 50 to 15,000Hz with no more than 5% THD

....I don't even know if you can compare those numbers, or weather it really matters

Last edited:
but there no aux on it... you will have to buy a adapter to put on the bus in the back for having one

there also a panasonic in your price range who will have the aux in the front,

it does have a mini jack in the back, and it has three sets of preamp outputs, and great FM sensitivity...I probably go out to Bestbuy or Circuit city and give a try...

Back