• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Have a Q or 2 on csvt's

ford4life

Veteran CEG'er
I heard someone say before that csvt will have things that need more work than reg maint. What other kind of work are we talking?

In reg maint i mean brakes, oil, fluids.

Well yea cuz it came up as saying. there is more work then just reg maint. and thats all i got out of it. Cuz i said why work on a contour unless its reg maint then i got that

I heard someone say before that csvt will have things that need more work than reg maint. What other kind of work are we talking?

In reg maint i mean brakes, oil, fluids.

Like any car. It all depends on how YOU drive it. I've got a 2000 SVT with 90000 miles. The only thing that has ever failed on it was the fuel pump. It didn't actually even die, just kept going. It was a $100 and on hour fix. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Like any car. It all depends on how YOU drive it. I've got a 2000 SVT with 90000 miles. The only thing that has ever failed on it was the fuel pump. It didn't actually even die, just kept going. It was a $100 and on hour fix. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Well yea cuz it came up as saying. there is more work then just reg maint. and thats all i got out of it. Cuz i said why work on a contour unless its reg maint then i got that

What TX said; regular maintenance and not driving like a :censored::censored::censored::censored: head will make the engine and trans last much longer, things that cause irregular wear are engine breaking (premature clutch failure), and make sure to fill your engine oil a quart above full. (6.5 quarts) and try to avoid long sloping right hand turns at high RPMS (oil starvation on rod bearings 1 and 2 (or was it 5 and 6?)

Either way, even though my car was cobbled together from 3 different SVT's (mechanically speaking) its been super reliable, probably the most reliable car I have ever owned, does it make a couple of noises? Yes the suspension clunks a little, but that also would be regular maitnence, I need a new suspension.

given the history of how you said you drive your car i see....

premature clutch failure or just earlier replacement
broken axle(s)
water pump failure
broken diff
dead alternator (however this is not uncommon in all contours)
blown suspension (again, not uncommon if the car is not properly maintained)

I didn't know we were supposed to "overfill" the oil to prevent the oil starvation. Is this what everyone does?

What TX said; regular maintenance and not driving like a :censored::censored::censored::censored: head will make the engine and trans last much longer, things that cause irregular wear are engine breaking (premature clutch failure), and make sure to fill your engine oil a quart above full. (6.5 quarts) and try to avoid long sloping right hand turns at high RPMS (oil starvation on rod bearings 1 and 2 (or was it 5 and 6?)

Either way, even though my car was cobbled together from 3 different SVT's (mechanically speaking) its been super reliable, probably the most reliable car I have ever owned, does it make a couple of noises? Yes the suspension clunks a little, but that also would be regular maitnence, I need a new suspension.

I do not always drive like an ass. i just get pissed off easy. I have been paying attention i do not use the engine to brake as much as i thought. the only time i down shift is when i know i am not going to stop. I knew about the right turns i have keep from doing that to much. i put 6.5 Quarts in the the oil.

This car is really 3 cars in one?

given the history of how you said you drive your car i see....

premature clutch failure or just earlier replacement
broken axle(s)
water pump failure
broken diff
dead alternator (however this is not uncommon in all contours)
blown suspension (again, not uncommon if the car is not properly maintained)

Look at other post for the first two. And the 4th one

Water pump is that normal?

How to keep suspension from not blowing?

yes, and coolant should be about a half inch over the max line when cold.

well hot damn, I've read threads on here for a year now and never saw anything say that. Maybe I didn't pay attention.
Thanks, I'll make sure this is done next oil change. Do most people do 6 or 6.5 quarts (sorry to steal the thread)

water pumps are not very uncommon, but can be hit or miss.

there's nothing you can do about suspension, one day it will ride like garbage and need to be replaced if it isn't there already.

Well the car has koni Struts not sure about the springs though

Back