• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

H&R Springs

bhiggs89

Veteran CEG'er
This is rather long.

For those of you with H&R springs, or anyone else knowledgeable about suspension setups, I have some questions and/or concerns.

In Summer/Fall 2010 I decided it would be a good idea to replace the stock suspension (~85K miles). After doing some research I really liked the look of the H&R springs, so I purchased a set of those, as well as new BAT struts, mounting plates, etc.

When I got done replacing everything I was very pleased, the rake looked good, it handled amazingly, fairly stiff. However over the next few months the ride began to get "bouncy", it was still firm going over bumps, but the car would "bounce" afterwards.

After doing some more research I discovered that a previous owner had removed the rear perch mounts. So I went ahead and ordered those, installed them. And while they gave it more of the raked look, they didnt have any effect on the "bounciness".

So last summer (2011) I figured it must be something with the struts, so I ordered some new Koni struts. I only had a chance do replace the rears before winter hit. When replcaing the struts, I noticed the Koni's easy to push in and difficult to pull out. After taking the BAT struts off the car they were harder to push in and would immediately push back out by themselves. Once I got the rear Koni's installed (soft setting) I drove it around a few weeks and didnt notice a change in the behavoir, so I switched them to full stiff, and once again no change.

That brings us to now. So to those of you with the H&R springs, do they "bounce" after going over bumps? Or is there something else causing this? Before I switch out the front BAT with Koni's I would like to know if I need to switch to a different spring setup. Also how are struts supposed to behave when off the car? Should I be able to push down easily, or with resistance?

My Dad's car still has the stock suspension, and while not as stiff as my going over bumps, his does not continue to bounce afterwards.

Cliffs:
Do H&R spring's ride differently than others?

I can't speak to whether H&Rs ride differently than others, but there is no reason why a good Koni strut can't damp them. If you don't notice a difference between the Konis on full soft and full stiff, they might have been defective. There is a significant difference. Did you check the rebound adjustment before you put them on? I have gotten a bad Koni before, where the rebound force did not become more difficult by hand when turned up. I now have very high rate race springs on a custom Ground Control coilover setup and still don't need to run the Konis very firm.

My Cliff's: Yes, bouncing is a sign of bad struts, not bad springs...that's what undamped springs do. Good Konis adjusted properly will fix it.

Well I don't have H&R's but did have a bat kit with zero bounce and now I have bat struts with intrax springs with a small bounce after speed bumps. The intrax are lower but not as stiff as the bat springs.

What Koni struts did you get?

While I was reading your story at the beggining I saw springs with BAT struts, first thing I said was those struts won't last long.

What makes your car stop bouncing as you say are the struts, that is why they are called "dampners". Once you put the proper struts you will be fine.

I have some koni's with H&R springs and there is no bounce. The front struts are even leaking and they dont bounce.

to answer your question regarding the Konis behavior outside the car vs the BATs. that is normal. the Konis retract on their own and have to be pulled out, while all the other struts (for the Contour/Cougars) expand by themselves and have to be pushed in (the later is typical of most shocks/struts as well).

What Koni struts did you get?

While I was reading your story at the beggining I saw springs with BAT struts, first thing I said was those struts won't last long.

What makes your car stop bouncing as you say are the struts, that is why they are called "dampners". Once you put the proper struts you will be fine.

I got the 8710-1368 and 8710-1294 Koni Sport struts. Adjustable.

I'm aware that the struts act as dampners, but what seems confusing to me is that I have had 2 different sets of struts on the rear, and yet the behavior hasn't changed.

to answer your question regarding the Konis behavior outside the car vs the BATs. that is normal. the Konis retract on their own and have to be pulled out, while all the other struts (for the Contour/Cougars) expand by themselves and have to be pushed in (the later is typical of most shocks/struts as well).

And this is why I don't know what the problem is. According to this the BAT struts I took off were/are still good. And that the Koni's I put on were good too. And because their behavior seems normal off of the car, and there isn't any difference side to side it just doesn't seem like its a strut issue. That and the fact that I have had 2 sets on there, I would find it hard to believe that I would have 4 bad brand new struts.

I have been driving my Dad's car the last week or so, and there is a remarkable difference in the handling/driving characteristics between the two. And as much fun as I have had changing struts out, I would just like to find the cause and fix it.

Is there anything I can test while everything is on the car to decipher between strut or spring?

Back