• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got the boat fixed up and took it out

Pretty fun. We sold our boat. It was a 21 foot cuddy cabin cruiser. It was fun to take out in the bay and go tubing, or chillin out at our "crab island".
You keeping it or going to try and sell for more?

Going to keep it, was my grandfather's (he is 93 now and owns a 2000 ford contour sport) kinda a family heirloom I guess you could say. Was kinda tight on money but slowly digging myself out, one guy came by to look at it and offered 1000.00 at the time, it was pretty bad looking. I said sure and then he backed out. I'm glad he did.

It's a 1959 Cutter Avon with a 1974 Evinrude 40hp Norseman, it was doing about 18-20mph.
Still have to buy to more seats for the rear. Then maybe next year get a fish finder :)

I must say, the boat looked pretty darn good. It is in just as good, if not better shape, than my friend's mid-70's boat. Now you just gotta get a tow rope and a tube and go tubing! :cool:

Yes block Island sound. Ran it up the cost line from the Charlestown Breachway to somewhere around pawcatuck ct just over the border. Have to put a memory card into the digi camcorder and take a snap shot. It was about a 10 mile run one way.

Yes block Island sound. Ran it up the cost line from the Charlestown Breachway to somewhere around pawcatuck ct just over the border. Have to put a memory card into the digi camcorder and take a snap shot. It was about a 10 mile run one way.

When's blue fishin' season? :laugh:

Last edited:
Wow! That restoration came out nice!

Thankyou. In the old days they really used alot of layers of fiberglass with the color in the mold. I didn't think it would come back, after using boat wash and turtle wax ice, it gave it a nice shine.

The windshield isn't orginal, it used to be a one piece glass. My grandfather made the one on there out of a storm door I believe.

Here is the ad that came with the boat in 1958. I don't know if I would put 140hp engine on it lol

LastScan.jpg

Here is some video of where I stopped, not sure if it was around westerly or over the CT line, the GPS was showing I was in CT.... Maybe someone knows where this is....

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Jman2343/?action=view&current=Untitled45.flv

1 Does you boat have a built in gas tank or does it have a portable / removable gas tank?

2 Is your outboard engine a 2 stroke that you mix the oil with the gas?

reason for asking 1: Some boat makers made built-in tanks by forming the fiberglass in a way that produced a sealed chamber. They hooked a filler, vent and supply lines to these chambers and they became a fuel tank. Up until the 70s some manufactures did this. It was fine engineering at the time because the gasoline then was 100% petroleum and the fiberglass resin does not react with it. Now they put ethanol in the gasoline which, if it comes out of solution with the gasoline, will dissolve the resin. If your boat has a plastic or metal tank that the manufacturer built around or there's a portable one, then no problem. Just check your rubber fuel lines at least once a season. Eventually they will need to be replaced because the ethanol will soften them.

Reason for asking 2: Having gasoline with ethanol in it can ruin a 2 stroke engine in 3 ways.

First, The ethanol can come out of solution with the gas. Ethanol is heavier than gasoline so it sinks to the bottom of the tank. The oil that's mixed with the fuel stays in the gasoline. In an extreme case of ethanol separation there can be a pool of oil free ethanol at the bottom of the tank. If this pool is large enough for the engine to suck up the engine can quickly destroy itself. The best way to prevent this: If you plan on not using the boat for a long period, more than a few weeks, make sure the tank is almost full. For winter storage, make sure the tank is as empty as you can get it. Any ethanol that comes out of solution over the winter will be mixed back in when the tank is filled in the spring.

Second, ethanol has a very high affinity to absorb moisture. Weather its from humid air or from direct contact with water. The ethanol can absorb an amount of moisture and still stay in solution with the gasoline. It will go through the engine without much trouble but this moisture can cause metal parts in the fuel system to corrode. The best way to prevent this problem: StaBil has introduced a new fuel stabilizer that is blue and works just like the old stabilizer but it is made to be used with ethanol blended gasoline and help prevent fuel system corrosion that can happen with ethanol blended fuel. The second thing that can be done is add a water separator in the fuel system between the tank and the engine.

Third, The ethanol in the gasoline can react with the 2 stroke oil mist inside the engine. The process is called saponification, where an alcohol reacts with a hydrocarbon in the presence of heat and agitation to turn into soap. There is no way to stop this process other than using leaded aviation gasoline or unleaded racing gasoline which both don't have ethanol but are hard to get and cost up to $9 a gallon. But what can be done is to make sure that there is enough oil mixed with the gas so that after this process happens there is still enough oil to lubricate the engine. This is a problem that is more likely to happen in an air cooled 2 stroke engine that runs hot like a dirt bike or chain saw. I figured I'd mention it anyways. For example, if your outboard uses a 50:1 fuel oil mix thats about 2.6 ounces per gallon. If you used 3 ounces per gallon then you'd never have a problem.

The restoration looks beautiful. There's nothing like antique boats and their engines. The newer ones just aren't the same. Back then things were built with processes that were much more hands on and the workers were craftsmen. You could take exact same boats and they would each have some subtle differences from someone's personal touch that gave each of them character. Something from today which was mass produced to very exacting standards would produce a boat and engine that is identical to every other. That leads to a driving experience that is very sterile with the only variables being the colors and the drivers. I would love to have an antique boat someday.

Thankyou for the info J. The tanks are not built in. I've been meaning to get the stablizer for the gas, but haven't let the boat sit long. I usally flip the tank on it's side afew to mix it up. But might be done with it this season. I think I have about 3gals left in one tank. I believe it uses 1pint to 6 gals of gas for a 50:1 mix. The engine is a 1974 evinrude, the engine that came with the boat had the water pump failed back in 74 and toasted the engine.

Again very good info thankyou :)

I wasn't sure if you knew any of what I mentioned. I decided to put it out anyways because I'd feel terrible if I found out that something happened to your engine and maybe it could have been avoided if I shared what I knew. Plus maybe it could be helpful to someone else.

I'm a big fan of keeping older equipment working. Because they're cool, work just fine, are good conversation pieces because of the stories behind them and none of the new equipment we have today would be here if it weren't for the older things that came first.

Water pumps in outboards are very fickle. Basically a rubber star shaped thing that spins in an oblong hole. They work great as long as they stay wet. I didn't read if you've looked at your pump but if you haven't just change it.

You have portable tanks that you can pick up!!! Great. If you just slosh them around a few times before you go out for a ride, that will stir any settled fuel back into solution.

Any info is always welcome :)

What sucks is the hydrofoil I put on is ripping the little fins of the engine case. Soon there won't be anything to really attach to. I'll have to snap a pic to show what I'm talking about.
Might try to hunt down a lower half, but could be either A. crappy or B. too much.

craigslist. (check once in a while to see if someone is selling an engine like yours that you can strip for parts)

iboats.com (join the forum and post some questions) also a parts dealer for just about every boat ever made

AOMCI.org (antique outboard motor club inc.) (just to check it out, they charge a fee to join, but if you're into antique outboards at least go see the pictures)

what outboard makers do to save time and money, they make what I call sister models. For example the only difference between a new mercury 9.9hp and a 15hp is the carburator and the prop. Same thing for a 25 and 35. etc. So if you go the route of looking for a parts motor you don't necessarily have to get the same hp or even the same year, just the same platform. Asking around at a place like Iboats.com will help you figure that out.

Lets say that in your case, for the model outboard you have, evinrude made the 45, 50 and 60 horsepower models on the same platform. You found a 60 horsepower with a blown engine but a good lower end. You could just swap out the lower ends and the carb(s) and end up with 15 more horsepower on your boat plus a few spare parts.

Back